Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 11-07-2016 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get a motorhome. I previously converted a 609d mercedes, and also had access to a knauss (i think) 6 berth on a ducato. Both were pretty big, certainly bigger than I need (1 wife, 1 child). I was looking at the likes of the transporter size conversions (I am happy to do the work myself) but am wondering how small they are when it comes to actually spending time in them. The plan would be to get a drive away awning as well and only really sleep/prepare food in the motorhome, but live outside.

My wife thinks the transporter is quite small, some of the other panel vans (ducato etc) are a bit bigger, but how much more usable space do they give? I toyed with the idea of a coach built, but my budget is about 7k for the motorhome all in and I'm not sure if I would get anything for that money that didn't need a lot of work (although if anyone knows a good one in or around 7k....). I can add accessories over time so am not too worried about them at the moment.

I plan on using it as much as possible, mainly in Ireland, some short trips, wild camping, some longer trips and probably over to France next year or the year after.

Any advice on people with similar experience would be most welcome! Thanks in advance, Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've had a T2 (Bay) and now have a 6 berth motorhome. We're mulling over next van options, and did toy with going back small and having it as a daily driver. Pretty much decided last week whilst away in the wet and the wind, that we'll be sticking coach built tbh. That's not to say there wasn't T5's and van conversions, with and without awnings, coping fine, but just wasn't for us (family of four).

There's obviously the middle ground of the bigger van conversions (Ducato/ Master size). I've seen quite a few "Weinsberg" conversions about this year that are panel van size, with a high top which seems to be a bed. One was beside us last week with a couple and late teenager and didn't see the need for an awning. It's only really width, and a bit of height (still too high for barriers) with a panel van conversion compared to a 4 berth coach built I think.

New at least, I don't think there's massive savings on professional conversions and coach built - not sure on second hand. Conversions are more labour intensive, which eats into the materials savings as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/90-fiat-ducato-camper-5-berth-1-9d/12387925

If this was water tight, and you carefully checked for rust, it might be worth a look.

Advertisement