Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC

Options
  • 11-07-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hey,

I built my current PC 5+ years ago and while it seems to be keeping up with the modern gaming world Id like to get something new in the near future. (Not working right now so as soon as I do I'll be saving) Obviously things will change within the next year so it can be hard to suggest items for me now but Id like to get a general idea.
    At the moment my build isnt that bad from what I remember theres a sapphire GPU and an Intel Xeon CPU. I have a monitor and some peripherals though with hopefully my projector arriving soon Id like to have the option of wireless keyboard and mouse if anyone has any ideas on those let me know. As Im thinking of using my old computer for media and maybe some work I wont have any spare parts to transfer in. Money wise I can't really give a figure but I'm hoping between 2000 & 3000. Id rather get it built for me. I know its a lot cheaper to do it yourself and get parts from different places but I put together my current PC and it was very stressful. I might consider doing it again if I knew all parts were definitely compatible and fit in the case which is an issue I had last time. (The rear ports dont align with the spaces in the back of the case. Hardwareversand was my go to place last time but they are since gone. Is there other websites out there that build for cheap even? At the moment Ive been so far out of the loop I dont know any of the go to places for good deals on parts if I was to build it myself and dont know which parts to get.

Okay sorry for the long rant but in short the games I play tend to be demanding (Total War etc) but I also play less graphically demanding but still processing demanding games like Football Manager.

I keep hearing great things about SSD drives for booting speeds etc but youd loose me trying to explain hot to boot from one and install on another etc but Id still be willing to give it a shot. With game sizes getting bigger Id require a lot of hard drive space and hopefully some future proofing as Im not sure my current one has that capability.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can you fill this out?

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

1. What is your budget? 2000-3000 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Total War games, Witcher etc. Also Football Manager. With the possibility of maybe streaming/you tube videos of gaming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Monitor

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. -

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1680 x 1050 and not anytime soon

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Maybe a wireless keyboard and mouse but not a priority. Have a wireless dongle. Have no idea on good mics/recording things for you tube/streaming. If possible to record/stream both PC & PS4

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe but preferably not

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, Cash

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully within the next year

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick but I should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

coolguyrko wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? 2000-3000 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Total War games, Witcher etc. Also Football Manager

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Monitor

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. -

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1680 x 1050 and not anytime soon

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Maybe a wireless keyboard and mouse but not a priority. Have a wireless dongle

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe but preferably not

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, Cash

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully within the next year

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick but I should be okay.

I would suggest reconsidering keeping the monitor. If you are set on keeping it though, you should be able to get something to meet or exceed your needs for less than a third of your maximum budget.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I would suggest reconsidering keeping the monitor. If you are set on keeping it though, you should be able to get something to meet or exceed your needs for less than a third of your maximum budget.

Dont think the monitor is good? The recommended is the screen res I use. Bpught it for 45 euro off adverts. Picture quality is immaculate and has a built in camera and USB ports. Think it is this one Dell SP2008WFP. Really that little? What would you suggest getting? Id like some future proofing ability in it. Current case didnt really allow for it and hoping to keep my current rig as a work/media station so dont really have spare parts to use from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

2k would build you a rock solid 1440p system with change left over. That would be a major upgrade on your current system.
    Not sure if a 1080 gtx will push 4k at 60hz on ultra just yet. Some of the other lads might have more info

• Advertisement

No current GPU can push 4k Ultra 60

For €1000 you can get a 1080p monitor that'll play every game maxed for the next year or two, €1500 for 1440p build

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No current GPU can push 4k Ultra 60

For €1000 you can get a 1080p monitor that'll play every game maxed for the next year or two, €1500 for 1440p build

Nothing wrong with dropping to 4k60 @ Medium/High, though.

Also, older/less demanding games could conceivably run at 4k60 @ Ultra.

As DS said 1500 for a 1440p build and save rest for upgrades down the line. Get some good peripherals too while your at it.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    As DS said 1500 for a 1440p build and save rest for upgrades down the line. Get some good peripherals too while your at it.

I dont really follow. At the moment I just kind of need to know parts as I dont know what is and isnt good anymore and what goes with what to allow for future improvements.

I dont really follow. At the moment I just kind of need to know parts as I dont know what is and isnt good anymore and what goes with what to allow for future improvements.

Sorry, we got a bit caught up there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€350.29 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€64.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€122.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€84.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€146.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€95.95 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 8GB PHOENIX Golden Sample Video Card (€479.00 @ Mindfactory) BACKORDER
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€97.49 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€98.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor (€337.30 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1966.04
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-11 19:30 CEST+0200

This kinda system would definitely last you a long time.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sorry, we got a bit caught up there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€350.29 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€64.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€122.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€84.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€146.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€95.95 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 8GB PHOENIX Golden Sample Video Card (€479.00 @ Mindfactory) BACKORDER
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€97.49 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€98.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor (€337.30 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1966.04
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-11 19:30 CEST+0200

This kinda system would definitely last you a long time.
    Thank you. Price isnt so bad. By the time I can get the cash together things might be a little cheaper too. Will probably stick with the monitor I have and dont need windows so price takes a nice drop. Thank you for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

If you're going to upgrade your monitor (which you absolutely should if you're willing to spend 2-3k), would you not consider one with a 120hz or 144hz refresh rate? I'm not sure if there exists 120hz or higher monitor with an IPS panel but I would sacrifice slight image quality for double the smoothness any day. I guess it depends what games you play.

OP doesn't want to over clock so you can drop to a Non-oc i7 (or an i5) and drop the cooler to save a bit, I know OP has a really high budget but it's pretty clear he's not an enthusiast so there's no point throwing money at parts just because it's there

OP doesn't want to over clock so you can drop to a Non-oc i7 (or an i5) and drop the cooler to save a bit, I know OP has a really high budget but it's pretty clear he's not an enthusiast so there's no point throwing money at parts just because it's there

Yes and tbh Im overestimating my budget. 3000 is a stretch. Id like to trim cost as much as possible and 2000 is probably my max. If I did have other cash Id put it towards future upgrades. Happy with the monitor and res I have. Dont really want to move from that until absolutely necessary

Can I suggest that you go with a dual monitor setup with the main monitor at 1440p at 120hz.
    For your budget it should be doable. Depends on the games you plan to play too ofc.
    Fine looking build otherwise.

Can I suggest that you go with a dual monitor setup with the main monitor at 1440p at 120hz.
    For your budget it should be doable. Depends on the games you plan to play too ofc.
    Fine looking build otherwise.

mainly total war and football manager. Occasionally games like witcher, MGS or Just Cause. Dont usually play online. Just need something that can handle the requirements of the massive battles in total war games. Dont really have the room to dual screen. Would love to. At the moment the set up is one monitor and maybe a projector for watching things and occasionally when herself is away game on the big screen.

If he wants to keep his current monitor there's no need going higher than a 480 or 1060, even if he jumps to 1440p in future he won't need any upgrades

I5 4690 cpu or a 6600 non k
    480 gpu
    Relevant mobi
    8gb ram

Shouldn't run to more than 1000 once you leave a 100 max for a nice case
    For what your doing it will be grand. Total wR chugs along on even top machines in some battles.

I5 4690 cpu or a 6600 non k
    480 gpu
    Relevant mobi
    8gb ram

Shouldn't run to more than 1000 once you leave a 100 max for a nice case
    For what your doing it will be grand. Total wR chugs along on even top machines in some battles.

At the moment Im running with
    GPU-Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Graphics Card
    MB- ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX (I think definitely ASRock)
    PSU-Corsair 620W.
    CPU-Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, boxed, LGA1155
    RAM-8GB (Cant remember the brand)

This is the case http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/636935-New-case-for-fileserver-(iCute-0701SL-4G-SB))

Was hoping to to keep it as a work comp but if its useful enough to build on Ill go with that and maybe pick up a cheap work/media station if it works out better. Was wrong about my dates. Was built about 3 years ago.

Ah stop, that's still a flyer, just upgrade the GPU to a 480 and you'll be flying, no need to upgrade that at all.

I thought it was posted earlier that you had a low spec machine

Add an SSD too if you don't have one

• Advertisement

Ah stop, that's still a flyer, just upgrade the GPU to a 480 and you'll be flying, no need to upgrade that at all.

I thought it was posted earlier that you had a low spec machine

Add an SSD too if you don't have one

Yeah I knew mine wasnt that bad but wasnt sure if it was capable of keeping up for a while longer. Not sure what to do with an SSD. I know what it does and stuff but Id have to wipe my current hard drive? Install windows on the SSD, then reinstall everything. Not really sure how to make one drive have preference over another.

Yeah pretty much, you can install Windows to the SSD the same as with a mechanical hard drive and backup files and wipe the HDD, the PC will automatically boot into the SSD once Windows is gone off the HDD, and they'll both appear in Windows for storage etc

That's a fine enough system for what you're planning. Get the gpu as DS said and your laughing

Yeah pretty much, you can install Windows to the SSD the same as with a mechanical hard drive and backup files and wipe the HDD, the PC will automatically boot into the SSD once Windows is gone off the HDD, and they'll both appear in Windows for storage etc

So for the sake of argument if I was installing games would it make sense to install games directly on the SSD as well or on the HDD as games can be fairly big these days

Yeah makes load times way faster. I generally install Windows on the SSD and have my Documents and Download folders on the HDD so that stuff doesn't fill up the SSD space. That leaves the rest of the SSD for programs and games.

There's a program called Steam Mover I believe, you can install all your games to the HDD and move 3-4 across to the SSD as you play them, saves a lot of space management on the SSD

Yeah makes load times way faster. I generally install Windows on the SSD and have my Documents and Download folders on the HDD so that stuff doesn't fill up the SSD space. That leaves the rest of the SSD for programs and games.

There's a program called Steam Mover I believe, you can install all your games to the HDD and move 3-4 across to the SSD as you play them, saves a lot of space management on the SSD
    1 Last thing when you mean 480 for the GPU do you mean the 480 GTX or something else

R9 480 yeah, wait a few weeks for the AIB versions to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

1 Last thing when you mean 480 for the GPU do you mean the 480 GTX or something else

GTX 480? We don't want to burn your house down with >6 year old tech!:D

(2016) AMD RX 480:

RX480_678x452.jpg

(2010) Nvidia GTX 480:

egg_cooking.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement