Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80-90 HP Tractor. What should I get?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there. I'm on the market for an 80-90 HP Tractor. We don't want it to be physically too big in size because we have a small enough farm and we'd be doing a fair bit of yard work with it.

I think I've it narrowed down to two. I'm looking at a 1990 Massey Ferguson 3065 and and a 1997 Case 4230. Any suggestions which one might be the better to go with? They both have 7500 Hrs on the clock. Would the MF being 7 years older make a difference?

Also, open to suggestions on other tractors. Over all budget is about €12k-13k and planning on heading to the North for it.

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

Ger22 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm on the market for an 80-90 HP Tractor. We don't want it to be physically too big in size because we have a small enough farm and we'd be doing a fair bit of yard work with it.

I think I've it narrowed down to two. I'm looking at a 1990 Massey Ferguson 3065 and and a 1997 Case 4230. Any suggestions which one might be the better to go with? They both have 7500 Hrs on the clock. Would the MF being 7 years older make a difference?

Also, open to suggestions on other tractors. Over all budget is about €12k-13k and planning on heading to the North for it.

Thanks!! :)

What gearbox is on the 3065?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ger22

I think it's the 16/16 forward reverse. It's got the 4 main gears in ranges A and B. And it's got Hi and Low range too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Electronics on the MF might be a problem, lift especially, is it datatron or autotron or something like that. I did a good few hours on a 3060 back in the day, good, compact, gutsy, comfortable tractor for it's time. Cab could have rust issues by now though. Perkins engine so no problem there. Sorry no idea on the Case.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The electronic lift seems to be working alright. Except for the external lift buttons by the back lights. They don't work, but I was hoping would be a handy fix. I'm not too familiar with these tractors or what the datatron or autotron is. It's got no computer on the right pillar like some of the bigger models would, if that's what you mean.

You'd advise the 3065 anyways? It's mainly a comfortable cab and reliable tractor that we are looking for.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Electronics on the MF might be a problem, lift especially, is it datatron or autotron or something like that. I did a good few hours on a 3060 back in the day, good, compact, gutsy, comfortable tractor for it's time. Cab could have rust issues by now though. Perkins engine so no problem there. Sorry no idea on the Case.

The electronic lift seems to be working alright. Except for the external lift buttons by the back lights. They don't work, but I was hoping would be a handy fix. I'm not too familiar with these tractors or what the datatron or autotron is. It's got no computer on the right pillar like some of the bigger models would, if that's what you mean.

You'd advise the 3065 anyways? It's mainly a comfortable cab and reliable tractor that we are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the cab is sound, electronics would be the only issue. Try all the gears, it's been a while (1989!) since I drove one, I think you flick the gear lever sideways to change the range?
    What engine is in the '97 Case?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

A Renault Ceres or Cergos could be a good tractor and well within your budget. I know a lot of them were sold around here in the early naughties. The same tractor was sold as a John Deere 3400 for a while IIRC.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2001-renault-330/12710805

blue5000 wrote: »
    If the cab is sound, electronics would be the only issue. Try all the gears, it's been a while (1989!) since I drove one, I think you flick the gear lever sideways to change the range?
    What engine is in the '97 Case?

Yeah, the cab seems in good shape. I small bit of dampness on the left pillar but nothing major. Its a Case D269 engine according to the TractorData.com website.

Yup, you flick the main gear leaver to switch between low and high range. The AB gear lever seems a bit wobbly though. Is that anything to be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Generally a smaller 3005 series MF would be Autotronic not Datatronic, its just to do with the level of technology for tillage work mainly, radar ground speed etc... It would make little difference to you really. If your going for the MF make sure its a 16 speed not a 32 speed, the 32 speed gave lots of trouble. Check for wear in the drive line to the front axle, rust cab doors and pillars, brakes and functionality of lift arms and gear selection.

A 3065 is not that powerful of a tractor really, but it depends what you want to do with it. If you could find one, a 3070 or 3075 would be the best buy of the 4 cylinder models in that range. A 390T Highline might suit either

I'm not as familiar with Case IH tractors, but the 4230 and that series are not a popular choice on the second hand market and they never gained the good reputation of the likes of the 885, 956, 5100 series etc... personally I would steer clear of them, there are lots of other options out there.

Testacalda wrote: »
    Generally a smaller 3005 series MF would be Autotronic not Datatronic, its just to do with the level of technology for tillage work mainly, radar ground speed etc... It would make little difference to you really. If your going for the MF make sure its a 16 speed not a 32 speed, the 32 speed gave lots of trouble. Check for wear in the drive line to the front axle, rust cab doors and pillars, brakes and functionality of lift arms and gear selection.

A 3065 is not that powerful of a tractor really, but it depends what you want to do with it. If you could find one, a 3070 or 3075 would be the best buy of the 4 cylinder models in that range. A 390T Highline might suit either

I'm not as familiar with Case IH tractors, but the 4230 and that series are not a popular choice on the second hand market and they never gained the good reputation of the likes of the 885, 956, 5100 series etc... personally I would steer clear of them, there are lots of other options out there.

Thanks for that. Helps a lot. Am I right in saying the one I'm looking at is 16 speed? It's got the 4 main gears in high and low range and the A&B range also. When I was looking at it, yourman was saying something about a 'half gear' as well. It was one of the buttons beside the Diff Lock button. Does this suggest it's the 32 speed model??

Is the 3070 or 3075 much bigger in physical dimension? I went to see a 3085 and it was way bigger than I was expecting. We wouldn't be doing a whole lot with it (topping, rolling, moving round bales, spreading fertilizer & general yard work), so it doesn't have to be too too powerful.

The MF 3005 series seems to have a comfier cab than the MF 390T, does it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Thanks for that. Helps a lot. Am I right in saying the one I'm looking at is 16 speed? It's got the 4 main gears in high and low range and the A&B range also. When I was looking at it, yourman was saying something about a 'half gear' as well. It was one of the buttons beside the Diff Lock button. Does this suggest it's the 32 speed model??

Is the 3070 or 3075 much bigger in physical dimension? I went to see a 3085 and it was way bigger than I was expecting. We wouldn't be doing a whole lot with it (topping, rolling, moving round bales, spreading fertilizer & general yard work), so it doesn't have to be too too powerful.

The MF 3005 series seems to have a comfier cab than the MF 390T, does it??

That's the button for the splitter and would make it the 32 speed gearbox. We had a MF 3080 with that gearbox where I work in the Summer for years and it never gave any trouble despite high hours. I've never driven that model of case so couldn't honestly tell you but any case I've driven
    I've loved and they can always pull to beat the band. A 5100 series could be gotten easily on your budget but may be bigger than you would like. As for the cab question the 3000 or 3005 series cab would be a different planet to the 390. I wouldn't wish sitting in a 390 on my worst enemy but some people love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The 3065 and 3075 are both 4 cylinder so there is little difference in their physical size, the 3080 and later 3085 are 6 cylinder tractors and are a lot bigger, longer and heavier. If your not doing anything too strenuous the 3065 should be ok.

The standard 390 cab isn't great, especially the early models, that's why I said a 390 highline, its a higher more luxurious cab and much more comfortable than the standard ones, Im talking about one from the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think you would need to be buying a 3065 a good bit cheaper then a 390 .A 390 are very basic tractor and tend not to depreciate while the 3000 series have a cab that rots and are more complicated to repair and are not sought after .Some lads have put 15k hours up on 4230s and more lads curse them from a height ,it seems they get hard to start in winter when old but stand to be corrected on that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

While hard to buy as they are sought after a MF 390 or 390 T are hard beaten in that price range.Are a more 'basic' tractor alright but less to go wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

We have the same model 3075 it sounds like. No issue with the A/B box here but its not under huge pressure most of the time and we wouldnt be dogging it. We have a fairly small yard with tight turning circles and the 3075 is nimble enough for us. Cab is plenty comfortable to spend a day in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If you buy either of the two models mentioned I believe you will have a tractor for life..which is fine if you're prepared to tinker with them and wear them into the ground. Very hard to get money for them in 10 years time. Get yourself a aul ford or new Holland. Always worth money.. Even the ones with electrics still bring money when they are wore out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Late model case ih 844xl would be hard bet for value for money and comfort. As said the 4230's have mixed reviews. 844xl have a nicer gear pattern than 885xl's and a heavy duty back end so just that little bit better all round. If your heart is set on a Massey then the 390 or 390t are the clear winner but they have an inflated price tag as a result of them being sought after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

drove a few of them Massey and a few 4230 & 4240 in both L cab and Xl cab

Nothing wrong with the 4230 at all.

Hadn't Greengrass1 one and put 17000 hours on it before selling.

I myself would prefer the case , especially if you could get it with the XL cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

drove a few of them Massey and a few 4230 & 4240 in both L cab and Xl cab

Nothing wrong with the 4230 at all.

Hadn't Greengrass1 one and put 17000 hours on it before selling.

I myself would prefer the case , especially if you could get it with the XL cab.

The 4230/4240s never had a great rep for some reason, they supposedly gave alot more trouble than the older cases etc, however the 2nd hand value is most certainly lower as a result, so if you can find a clean one it would be worth a punt. The xl cab makes them something like 8inchs higher than the standard cab, I was looking at ones before and low roofed sheds here definitely ruled out an xl cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A 70 90 or 80 90 fiat would be a good tractor. Comfortable cab and bomb proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Muckit wrote: »
    A 70 90 or 80 90 fiat would be a good tractor. Comfortable cab and bomb proof.

Jeez muckit, I wouldn't class them as comfortable, and what about the rust? Mechanically good except for poor hydraulic output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Timmaay wrote: »
    The 4230/4240s never had a great rep for some reason, they supposedly gave alot more trouble than the older cases etc, however the 2nd hand value is most certainly lower as a result, so if you can find a clean one it would be worth a punt. The xl cab makes them something like 8inchs higher than the standard cab, I was looking at ones before and low roofed sheds here definitely ruled out an xl cab.

Them 4200 series are the most decisive machine ever built

Either great workhorses to stay going or lads want to burn them

Be a pity to be stuck with a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jeez muckit, I wouldn't class them as comfortable, and what about the rust? Mechanically good except for poor hydraulic output.

It's all relative.

Rust not an issue on the 90 series l thought. Hydraulic flow is fine for farm use.

Hey Guys,

Would a John Deere 6100 be a good alternative ?? It's 75HP, so a little smaller but is it a good one to go with all the same??

Thanks

Advertisement