Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of school because of depression?

Options
  • 11-07-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm going into sixth year in September but have recently been going to a therapist for anxiety and depression. I mentally do not feel I will be able to get through another year of school and am just wondering does anyone know anything about doing the leaving cert from home? Would be a good enough student and feel I would honestly do better from home.
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'd advise against doing your leaving from home.

Putting the educational side of it to one side for a moment, it's not a good idea to isolate yourself while suffering from depression.
    The only way you learn to live with depression/anxiety and get over it is by being in social situations. You need to challenge yourself.
    You just aren't going to do that buried under a pile of books in your room.
    It's also very important to maintain a social network as you'll find your mood drops even more without any social interaction .

Then theres the educational side where you won't be able to get the same level of input from teachers and a lot of it will be self directed. You may or may not thrive in this environment but it's a big gamble.

You should continue to engage with professional help but I think dropping out of school would be a bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

As you have completed fifth year it seems according to https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec that you qualify to do the Leaving Cert as an External Student i.e doing the leaving cert from home.

However, subjects with project components that require teacher supervision like geography or history are trickier to organise than subjects like english, maths, economics etc based 100% on the written exam.

You should email or ring the SEC with your query and if you can do the leaving cert as an external student, look at any subjects with project components and see if you can organise teacher supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

You should get in touch with your guidance counsellor and explain how you feel. If you haven't been to a doctor yet, you should!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As above. make sure you get your doctor involved. Your health is far more important than the Leaving Cert which can be put off by a year or two if you like, or wait until you are 23 and enter courses without it.

Advertisement