Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level Gaming laptop

Options
  • 10-07-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Not that knowledgeable about graphics etc so just wondering if this would be a decent entry laptop.
    84.png
    Chassis & Display
    Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)1.pngProcessor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 6300HQ (2.3GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo)2.pngMemory (RAM)
    8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)11.pngGraphics Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M - 2.0GB DDR3 - DX12 (Special Offer)
    down_right_arrow.gifFree Item: FREE £70 IN-GAME CURRENCY [World of Warships/Warfram] with GTX 950 GPUs.
    5.pngMemory - Hard Disk
    120GB SAMSUNG 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)5.png2nd Hard Disk
    500GB WD BLACK 2.5" WD5000LPLX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Actually nvm, GPU is too poor for what I'm looking for and hard to get value in laptop form. Desktop it is, and from what I'm reading just put a rx480/gtx 970 in it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

I think the GTX 960m is the minimum you would need for a decent gaming laptop (it's what I'm looking at at the moment). GTX 970m is better but you won't get that in a laptop under €1200...

If you're able to go with a desktop instead it will be greatly cheaper, more configurable and more upgradeable.

WaterWolf wrote: »
    I think the GTX 960m is the minimum you would need for a decent gaming laptop (it's what I'm looking at at the moment). GTX 970m is better but you won't get that in a laptop under €1200...

If you're able to go with a desktop instead it will be greatly cheaper, more configurable and more upgradeable.
    Yeah a laptop would be my preference and since I've no experience in building desktops thought it would be my best bet but after goin on a computer components crash course the last coupe of days I can get way more bang for my buck with a desktop. Only thing stretching the budget is I need a good monitor and keyboard too going that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It depends on the price you're paying for the laptop and what games you're playing.

The GTX950 will play any game on the market right now, but many at sort of 720p resolution and medium settings for a good solid framerate - if you're talking about stuff like Fallout 4, Doom, Black Ops 3, etc. Roughly around PS4/XB1 quality for now but it will get weaker as time goes on compared to consoles.

Less demanding stuff would run better obviously, really just does depend on what you're playing.

It depends on the price you're paying for the laptop and what games you're playing.

The GTX950 will play any game on the market right now, but many at sort of 720p resolution and medium settings for a good solid framerate - if you're talking about stuff like Fallout 4, Doom, Black Ops 3, etc. Roughly around PS4/XB1 quality for now but it will get weaker as time goes on compared to consoles.

Less demanding stuff would run better obviously, really just does depend on what you're playing.
    It ranks really low on PassMark that's what I've been using as I know nout about GPU's. I was thinking i3 6100 and an R7 370 to get me started, maybe an rx480 at a stretch depending how cheaply I can get the other parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was talking about laptop performance there, not desktop, didn't realise the thread had changed to desktop use.

Advertisement