Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem after buying second hand car

Options
  • 10-07-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys I bought a second hand car 2 months and the engine went in it. I was given a 3 month warranty which the company is not willing to honour. Since I logged the complaint with the company they have re registered. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you say engine went what happened? How old was the car, how much did you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dadazzler87

The con rod broke on it as I was driving to work 1 morning....I paid him €3200 nd traded in my old car

The car is a 07 Opel Astra 1.4 petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Search the companies name or the directors names on http://www.solocheck.ie/ to see if the other company was dissolved and a new one created and if same people are involved.

Have done this nd it seems they wer dissolved nd new company name with same people involved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

sounds like nothing you can do. You have no claim against the new outfit and the old one is gone.
    sorry for your trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Name & shame??

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

sounds like nothing you can do. You have no claim against the new outfit and the old one is gone.
    sorry for your trouble

Far from an expert but I believe it is illegal to wind down/liquidate a company and set up a new company carrying out the same business just for the purposes of screwing over creditors.

Could be something to mention to the CRO/police etc if you believe this is the case and have any evidence of such e.g. Same directors, premises/lease, same business, set up almost immediately after other company liquidated etc...

Probably won't get you anywhere but could be worth a shot - or perhaps just mention it to whoever you dealt with to see if they would remedy the situation as a "goodwill" gesture.

Who would I " name & shame" to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Sounds like one of the cowboy outfits from the Bluebell area, notorious for selling dodgy cars and changing names often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I would do some digging, if owners are the same and they are operating out of the same premises carrying out the same trade... then you can still pursue...

I will do further digging on it I will be talkin with my solicitor tomorrow to figure out my options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

robtri wrote: »
    I would do some digging, if owners are the same and they are operating out of the same premises carrying out the same trade... then you can still pursue...

And pursue and pursue. People who do this know the law better then most and how costly, in time and money, it is to get a judgement. Then you have the fun of trying to get the judgement enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, these guys are usually as slippery as an Italian politician and know all the tricks and loopholes. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

did it run out of oil?

No was full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I feel sorry for you OP but I don't think you'll get much out of them now. Unfortunately there are people in the trade who do dirty things and seem to get away with it very easily :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Everybody on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jesus. wrote: »
    Everybody on here.

I wouldn't be doing that if you're considering legal action OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Admin note - No naming & shaming here please, despite requests to do so. All it'll do is open the OP up to civil action, & land Boards.ie in legal trouble too.

Op - I have seen it argued successfully in the small claims court, that a garage was liable & responsible for the terms of warranty, despite going through a name change. It might be worth the small fee to try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Del2005 wrote: »
    And pursue and pursue. People who do this know the law better then most and how costly, in time and money, it is to get a judgement. Then you have the fun of trying to get the judgement enforced.
    small claims court €15....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

robtri wrote: »
    small claims court €15....

if he paid 3200 and a trade in then scc wont cover him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I'm the OP's brother. If we were just to claim for the cost of repairs, which would be less than €2000.00, the small claims route would still be ok? These guys really are cowboys. I got in touch with another person who had a similar experience to my brother. Problem with car and they tried to put the blame on her. They 'offered' to pay half the costs of repair (same as with my brother). If it were her or my brothers' fault solely, why would they offer to pay at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm the OP's brother. If we were just to claim for the cost of repairs, which would be less than €2000.00, the small claims route would still be ok?
    Yes
    The current fee for making a claim in the Small Claims Court is €25.
    The procedure is designed to deal with claims up to €2,000.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Thanks Biko

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

if they offer a grand i would take it and run the torment it will cause you trying to get the better of these cnuts is not worth it

Advertisement