Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job offer but extended holiday planned

Options
  • 10-07-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi Readers,

I have been offered a new job Friday evening and have a week to accept/reject.

I want to take it as it is a great opportunity and feel it will an area where I would like to have a long-term career.

The one problem, I am a 27 year old who never traveled, in my current job I have been honored a months leave to go to Thailand to do some travel. I hadn't planned on leaving my current role even though unhappy as this trip was keeping me going and I would have looked for a job after it but when I saw the new job advertised I knew it is what I want.

Is this something I can mention upon accepting job offer or would I be better off not saying nothing and not going on the trip for the sake of a new job?

I really want to go on the trip and feel it is something I have always wanted to do and would regret if I didn't but dont want the new employer to change their mind and would rather just take the job and lose out on the price paid for tickets.

Thanks in advance for advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

vicky7833 wrote: »
    Hi Readers,

I have been offered a new job Friday evening and have a week to accept/reject.

I want to take it as it is a great opportunity and feel it will an area where I would like to have a long-term career.

The one problem, I am a 27 year old who never traveled, in my current job I have been honored a months leave to go to Thailand to do some travel. I hadn't planned on leaving my current role even though unhappy as this trip was keeping me going and I would have looked for a job after it but when I saw the new job advertised I knew it is what I want.

Is this something I can mention upon accepting job offer or would I be better off not saying nothing and not going on the trip for the sake of a new job?

I really want to go on the trip and feel it is something I have always wanted to do and would regret if I didn't but dont want the new employer to change their mind and would rather just take the job and lose out on the price paid for tickets.

Thanks in advance for advice :)

Ask. If its a job you want id give up on the trip but no harm in asking for a delayed start. Explain you are willing to forgo the trip but have it paid for and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Tell the new employer you would love to accept the job and would it be ok to delay a start date til after the trip? If they say no they want you sooner then you can decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

tina1040 wrote: »
    Tell the new employer you would love to accept the job and would it be ok to delay a start date til after the trip? If they say no they want you sooner then you can decide what to do.

Thanks for the response, I know they are wanting immediate start, as soon as end of August as they have said they are trying to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

The reason I gave my current employer for the leave is due to the fact I have never travelled and feel it is something I will always regret if I don't. I have some friends going that asked me to travel with them and an opportunity like this may not come up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Do you need to give your current employer notice? Is the month away paid wages?

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Do you need to give your current employer notice? Is the month away paid wages?

I need to give my current employer 4 weeks notice. The trip in November was unpaid leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I need to give my current employer 4 weeks notice. The trip in November was unpaid leave.

So when do you want to start the new job? Before or after your month away?

When is the trip?and when would you want to start the new job?

The trip is not until November?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Cancel the trip would be my advice. If it's a job you really want that would further your career then it is more important in my opinion.

Stheno wrote: »
    So when do you want to start the new job? Before or after your month away?

I am due to start the new job at the end of August, start of September. The trip is booked for the month of November. I don't want to be selfish but I have worked in the corporate world since I was 19 and have been really excited about this opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am due to start the new job at the end of August, start of September. The trip is booked for the month of November. I don't want to be selfish but I have worked in the corporate world since I was 19 and have been really excited about this opportunity.

So do you want to start the new job and take a month off after you are there two months?

The trip is not until November?

Hi, yes the trip is in November, I want to be as honest as possible with the new employer. I did mention in my interview that I have been giving my current role my all and had not been actively looking for a new job but upon seeing this role advertised it was something I could definitely see myself doing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The new employer would be mad yo give you the job, then let you off for a month. It wouldn't make any business sense.

You can always try, but I'd expect them to chose a different candidate for the role.

Stheno wrote: »
    So do you want to start the new job and take a month off after you are there two months?

Yes, that's what I was hoping they could understand. Unpaid but as long as it was honored and not held against me but if it looks bad then I am happy to forget about it but travel has always been something I wanted to do before I am 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yes, that's what I was hoping they could understand. Unpaid but as long as it was honored and not held against me but if it looks bad then I am happy to forget about it but travel has always been something I wanted to do before I am 30.

I'd say it's highly unlikely they would give you the time off tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A lot of employers will honour commitments made before starting new job.

All you can do is ask and see what they say. You'll have 1 1/2 in the new job which should be sufficient for training and to get you established.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Usually you are asked if you have any holidays etc planned. Be honest, say you have a month booked off, if the company is serious enough about hiring you, they will allow it.

Thank you, I have a lot of experience and as it's a new company I feel I could bring a lot to it so yes hopefully it wouldn't put them off me but it still makes me nervous... I haven't handed in my notice to current employer so at least that is an option to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Thank you, I have a lot of experience and as it's a new company I feel I could bring a lot to it so yes hopefully it wouldn't put them off me but it still makes me nervous... I haven't handed in my notice to current employer so at least that is an option to stay
    I'd be slow to hand in any notice until I had a legally binding contract (exchanged and signed by both yourself and your new employer). Without a legally binding contract the new job offer could be withdrawn for any (or no) reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Usually you are asked if you have any holidays etc planned. Be honest, say you have a month booked off, if the company is serious enough about hiring you, they will allow it.
    This!

I am an employer and have had two people join in the last year, both of whom had one month holidays planned when they came for interview. They told me in the interview and I was happy to work around it because I wanted them. Now it wasn't ideal, I'll admit, but IMO it started us all off on the right foot - I was willing to be flexible, and they have shown themselves to be the same since.

This might not work for you, but I would absolutely let them know! In fact, the way you word it here, you are really excited about this, you feel it would be a missed opportunity if you didn't go, and this could all colour this new job for you also.

The worst the prospective employer can say is no, and it always pays to show from the start that you are upfront and not afraid to speak to them about anything.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

I think I would tell them how great the job sounds etc and tell them you have a trip planned for November for which you had arranged unpaid leave but you can cancel if necessary. So you would show the you are serious about wanting the job but putting the ball in their court regarding the trip without asking directly. Hopefully they like you enough to feel sorry for you missing the trip!!!

This!

I am an employer and have had two people join in the last year, both of whom had one month holidays planned when they came for interview. They told me in the interview and I was happy to work around it because I wanted them. Now it wasn't ideal, I'll admit, but IMO it started us all off on the right foot - I was willing to be flexible, and they have shown themselves to be the same since.

This might not work for you, but I would absolutely let them know! In fact, the way you word it here, you are really excited about this, you feel it would be a missed opportunity if you didn't go, and this could all colour this new job for you also.

The worst the prospective employer can say is no, and it always pays to show from the start that you are upfront and not afraid to speak to them about anything.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your response, it's good to hear feedback from someone that has experienced this :)

I would only be mentioning it so that I could be honest with them but if it meant that they would change their mind on me I would rather cancel trip and start the new job and I would also say to them if it impacted their decision hiring me then I wouldn't go and would still be enthusiastic about the new job opportunity.

I think I would tell them how great the job sounds etc and tell them you have a trip planned for November for which you had arranged unpaid leave but you can cancel if necessary. So you would show the you are serious about wanting the job but putting the ball in their court regarding the trip without asking directly. Hopefully they like you enough to feel sorry for you missing the trip!!!

Hopefully :) The way it is for me , even thought it's only a month, it is an opportunity to travel for a month to a country that I have always wanted to see and it is me getting it out of my system so that I can continue to be focused and driven in my career. I will emphasize that I thought this job is a great opportunity and willing to sacrifice a trip for it

Advertisement