Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus DPF

Options
  • 09-07-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there.

I know this topic has been discussed at length previously on other threads in the past, but they seem to contain conflicting information, so I'd be grateful if somebody would either clarify the queries below for me, or point me to somewhere they have been clarified already.

I'm looking for a Diesel Focus, probably in the region of 2009 to 2011. Initially I was looking for the 1.8 TDCi which, to the best of my knowledge does not have a DPF. I am told however that the only 1.8's in this country are UK imports and were discontinued in approximately 2009. As a result, low-mileage models seem to be scarce.

With regard to the 1.6's, I've been given conflicting information by main dealer salesmen. One has told me that all of them have a DPF, but that it is a different variant to the one with the fluid which gave a lot of trouble in the older Focuses. A different Ford salesman showed me a 2011 1.6D 109bph model which he said had no DPF. Is this likely to be correct? If anybody could clarify categorically which models (if any) don't have the DPF, it would be appreciated.

Finally, do the newer model (2011-present) give a lot of trouble, DPF or otherwise? I am aware of the common Diesel problems associated with stop-start driving, incorrect oil and large service intervals etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a 2005 Focus 1.6 TDCi 110bhp years ago and it had a DPF, the 90bhp didn't however. In 2011 DPFs were made mandatory on new diesel cars sold within the EU so that they met Euro 5 emission regulations. So for 2011 Ford dropped the 90bhp 1.6 TDCi from the MkII Focus and only sold the 110bhp version which had a DPF. Later in 2011 the MkIII Focus was launched and all those diesel models had a DPF fitted.

Not sure around the 1.8 TDCi engine though, that engine was also fitted to the likes of the Mondeo, Galaxy and S-Max too and some of those were fitted with DPFs. That engine was retired in late 2010 as it wasn't Euro 6 compliant even with a DPF. With the 1.8 engine I'd more concerned about it's wet belt interval and fondness for flywheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DSull

Thanks for responding. To be honest, I've almost given up hope of finding a 1.8 with decent mileage on it, they seem to be so rare. Are you saying so that all of the 2011 models have a DPF? Is it correct to say that there are some earlier 1.6s (I.e. 2010) which don't have the DPF?

Is it correct that they stopped using the fluid-filled DPF in some of the later Mk II? Do you know when this was? And is it correct to say that the newer type of DPF gave less trouble? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only way to be guaranteed a 2011 without a DPF would be to find a MkII 90bhp version that was a MY2010 that was registered in early 2011. Non of the 90bhp 1.6 TDCi engines had a DPF, at least not on the Focus anyway.

Afaik they only switched from using the eolys additive this year when the 1.6 TDCi engine was replaced with the new 1.5 TDCi.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

I have '09 1.8 TDci wrc edition from new only 120,000kms. The 1.8 diesels were sold here, not imports. It definitely does not have a DFP. Car sales were very low between '09 - '11 so not a lot to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My 08 Focus 110bhp 1.6 had a DPF - it was fine, bar one instance not long after buying it needed cleaning out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement