Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory test study. One week enough?

Options
  • 09-07-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I have a quick question about the test. So as a college student you would think time is not of the essence over the summer break but think again. Anyways, I was thinking of sitting the test in a weeks time. I have however not done an ounce of study yet. So my question being, is it possible to study for the test in a week and pass it?

I would like to add that I am an academic individual who has a good work ethic with regards to study and I can retain a lot of information in a short space of time. I say that not to sound cocky but just in case it helps in your advice! Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Well i done my car one 8 years ago with lots of study , and recently passed my motorbike theory with only 2 days of "study" :) if you have a fairly good understanding of the road it shouldn't be a problem . if you know nothing about junctions , road awareness etc i dont think a week would be enough ? Have you the CD you could practice on that to see what level/score you would be getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwi27

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Well i done my car one 8 years ago with lots of study , and recently passed my motorbike theory with only 2 days of "study" :) if you have a fairly good understanding of the road it shouldn't be a problem . if you know nothing about junctions , road awareness etc i dont think a week would be enough ? Have you the CD you could practice on that to see what level/score you would be getting ?

No I don't have the CD yet, but I plan on getting it asap. I also have a limited knowledge of the road to be honest. But as I already said, I can memorise things easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

yeah just do the mock exam on that and see where your levels are . some questions are straightforward. you'll need a pretty big memory as they're is a bank of about 1,250 questions randomly selected .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwi27

pudzey101 wrote: »
    yeah just do the mock exam on that and see where your levels are . some questions are straightforward. you'll need a pretty big memory as they're is a bank of about 1,250 questions randomly selected .

Challenge accepted!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A great deal of it is common sense, with safety as the overriding consideration. When in doubt, guess what the safest thing to do would be.
    You just have to learn off the stopping distances, signs etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I did the study the day before myself and have friends who have done similar so I wouldn't be worried if you put the head down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you booked the test? Sometimes there can be a couple of weeks to wait until the next free slot. I had to wait 17 days for mine. It took me 4 days study to get to the point of getting 39 or 40 for every mock test. I have a small child though, so I couldn't just give a whole day over to it. Most of the questions are common sense and most people would be likely to get 30-35 out of 40 without ever studying. But to be sure of passing, it makes sense to make the time to go through every single possible question and learn the answers. I found this website great. You can go through all 865 possible questions and see straight away what the correct answer is, do practise tests and revise with the section of 'most difficult questions.'

http://theory-tester.com/questions

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Most of it is common sense, with a few more difficult ones thrown in. Once you get the CD just keep doing practice tests over and over again and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

FYI the previous disk contained 865 questions but the latest CD only contains 778 questions. They have added new questions and removed lots of redundant questions. To study the latest material you will need to purchase the book/CD or use the website quizglobal. Just google quizglobal theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭dennyk

I just read through every question in this quiz the night before and passed with a 39/40 (missed a question on braking distances):

https://quizglobal.com/playquiz/Irish%20Driver%20Theory%20Test

I've had a US license for twenty years, though, so I already had the basic rules down well enough, and I tend to do well on tests. Might take a bit of extra studying for some folks, but you can also use that site to take a practice quiz and see how you do. If you can pass the practice test every time, you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Doing the theory in 3 weeks time,
    I have been studying using theory-tester.com and going through specifics like stopping distances etc.. from a book I got from a friend,
    I'm basically asking will I be fine if I am consistently passing the mock online and learning the specifics or would you recommend I buy the CD and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭dennyk

I'm basically asking will I be fine if I am consistently passing the mock online and learning the specifics or would you recommend I buy the CD and stuff.

If you're consistently passing the mock exams, you should be just fine; they should be the same questions that you'll see on the real thing. Don't sweat the braking distance questions so much that you forget the other stuff, either; you'll likely only see a couple of those on the actual test. (Honestly, I don't know why they even have 'em on there, other than to beat it into people's heads that stopping distances are a hell of a lot longer than you might think. Most folks probably couldn't tell you whether an object ahead was fifty meters or sixty meters away anyway, so knowing hard numbers is kind of pointless, not to mention that there are so many real-world factors involved in actual stopping distances that their "averages" are somewhere within a very wide range.)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

dennyk wrote: »
    If you're consistently passing the mock exams, you should be just fine; they should be the same questions that you'll see on the real thing. Don't sweat the braking distance questions so much that you forget the other stuff, either; you'll likely only see a couple of those on the actual test. (Honestly, I don't know why they even have 'em on there, other than to beat it into people's heads that stopping distances are a hell of a lot longer than you might think. Most folks probably couldn't tell you whether an object ahead was fifty meters or sixty meters away anyway, so knowing hard numbers is kind of pointless, not to mention that there are so many real-world factors involved in actual stopping distances that their "averages" are somewhere within a very wide range.)
    Cheers,
    I won't worry about having to nail whether it's 35.2 or 48.5m in the rain at 60km/h

Advertisement