Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is my car worth?

Options
  • 09-07-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭

A change in job and a slight falling out of love with my Alfa has me questioning if I should sell it or not. Could someone give me anow idea what it would be worth in a private sale.

Details are:

2010 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDM 150BHP, Irish car, 1 previous owner to me, FSH, nct 02/17, tax 10/16, 211k kms, met black with Brera alloys. Tyres all good and premium brand.

Work completed in the past 6 months:
    New front discs and pads, recon gearbox, flywheel and clutch at naas gearbox center, new front upper and lower wishbones and new rear drop links. Full service just completed.

Wants for nothing really.

I've loved the car from day 1 but starting to get a little itch to change again. I've had it 2 and a half years. The longest I've ever owned a car.

The other side of things is that I've done all the major work and it may be more beneficial to keep it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I would have said in around the 10k mark but maybe closer to 9k for a private sale and considering some may perceive the mileage to be high. I could be way out though I wouldn't be that up on my alfas.

The 2.5 years bit shocked me though if you asked me before now I would have said you only had it a year I can still remember you posting about it when you got it first time flies I suppose. Best of luck with the sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It would be a difficult car to replace as I blooming love it. I haven't found anything else I like nearly as much since I got it, either to look at or drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I'd say between 7 and 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you look on carzone, adverts and donedeal for guideprices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ejabrod wrote: »
    Any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

:rolleyes:

There you have it OP. The price you'll get is the price someone is willing to pay. So ring your local dealer and tell him "i've got what someone will pay for my car as a deposit" :pac:

biko wrote: »
    Did you look on carzone, adverts and donedeal for guideprices?

Nothing really comparable any time I've looked over the passed few months. Not in the guides for the salesmen either

goz83 wrote: »

There you have it OP. The price you'll get is the price someone is willing to pay. So ring your local dealer and tell him "i've got what someone will pay for my car as a deposit" :pac:

My usual response when under pressure "TAKE ALL MY MONEY"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

Always liked the 159 but the mileage is steep for an Alfa so it will be hard to sell unless cheap - I would have thought about 7k sounds right. They are not in demand and especially with those miles. Best og luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It would be a difficult car to replace as I blooming love it. I haven't found anything else I like nearly as much since I got it, either to look at or drive.

It's impossible to replace for normal money, believe me!
    goochy wrote: »
    Always liked the 159 but the mileage is steep for an Alfa so it will be hard to sell unless cheap - I would have thought about 7k sounds right. They are not in demand and especially with those miles. Best og luck.

This is just wrong! They beat a path to buy mine and it had 300k on it. (It was a lusso though)
    These are a rare car. The garage took another one as a trade in on mine (an 06 base model with less miles) and got offered over the asking if they would hold it

Edit: I bought mine for 8.5k put nearly 200k on it and sold it for 5k after 4 yrs.
    I'd say the garage who sold it (not where I traded it in) got 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I would think 6/7k. People are very wary of Alfas, especially ones with higher mileage. Sounds like you've looked after it well though. Lovely car, good luck with sale.

Rackstar wrote: »
    I would think 6/7k. People are very wary of Alfas, especially ones with higher mileage. Sounds like you've looked after it well though. Lovely car, good luck with sale.

Did you read my post?

Mine sold for 6k 08 159 Jtdm lusso with 300k

pred racer wrote: »
    Did you read my post?

I just read it there, did you sell for 6k or 5k?

There's no denying Alfas depreciate faster than comparable cars, especially with high mileage.

A change in job and a slight falling out of love with my Alfa has me questioning if I should sell it or not. Could someone give me anow idea what it would be worth in a private sale.

Details are:

2010 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDM 150BHP, Irish car, 1 previous owner to me, FSH, nct 02/17, tax 10/16, 211k kms, met black with Brera alloys. Tyres all good and premium brand.

Work completed in the past 6 months:
    New front discs and pads, recon gearbox, flywheel and clutch at naas gearbox center, new front upper and lower wishbones and new rear drop links. Full service just completed.

Wants for nothing really.

I've loved the car from day 1 but starting to get a little itch to change again. I've had it 2 and a half years. The longest I've ever owned a car.

The other side of things is that I've done all the major work and it may be more beneficial to keep it now.

I would poly bush the lower arms, it makes some difference ;)
    And remap it, and keep it. You are obviously not as hard on your suspension as I was, it's a great car, you won't replace it with anything similar because there is nothing like it out there.

Rackstar wrote: »
    I just read it there, did you sell for 6k or 5k?

There's no denying Alfas depreciate faster than comparable cars, especially with high mileage.

I got 5k on a trade in, it then sold for 6k.

I lost 3.5k on an 9k car in 4 yrs, not exactly dropping like a stone :rolleyes:

Not dropping like a stone at all, you did very well there. Not even 1k a year. The majority of depreciation is done in the initial years after purchase from new though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

goz83 wrote: »

Jesus mate, don't take the internet too seriously or it'll end up killing you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ejabrod wrote: »
    Jesus mate, don't take the internet too seriously or it'll end up killing you ;)

The internet talks back!!! :eek:

Anyway, back on topic. OP, I have no idea what your car is worth. I've had people tell me that I would only get half of what I was asking for a couple of cars I sold, but in the end (which usually was only a few days) I got more than, or very close to what I was comfortable with. If the car is worth more to you than what someone else is going to pay, then maybe keep it unless that itch just can't be scratched. I think Alfas command a smaller market than most brands though and the jokes are more common than almost any other marque :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I'm looking to sell my mk2.5 focus, if someone buys it I'd pay high 6's for this! Lovely car!

Guy at work bought a 2010 estate version for €9600, think it has 80k miles or less on it.

I would think you should get over 7k for yours, hard to judge how a private sale will go. Garages often wait months to get their margin, most private seller s panic after a week and drop price.

Replacement wise nothing front wheel drive will do IMO, need to go 325d ish.

Will your new job mean less miles ?

• Advertisement

Did you read my post?

From a dealer, if they were so easy to sell why did you trade it ? That's rhetorical BTW.

Previous owner lost at least 20k in the first 4 years.

Augeo wrote: »
    Will your new job mean less miles ?

No, more driving. I've no set start date however. So it could be next month or in 6 months. I was thinking a Guiletta 170bhp diesel would be nice. While the BMW is nice to drive I've never looked twice at one, although an Msport is a nice place to sit.

Lots 9f feedback keep it coming.

2010 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDM 150BHP, Irish car, 1 previous owner to me, FSH, nct 02/17, tax 10/16, 211k kms, met black with Brera alloys. Tyres all good and premium brand. ............ I've done all the major work and it may be more beneficial to keep it now.

I'd keep it, 211k miles is not at all out of the way and with the recent clutch etc you should be looking at many many troublefree, entertaining & stylish miles :)

I'd knock another two years out of it anyway, whatever you change to you'll regret imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd keep it, 211k miles is not at all out of the way and with the recent clutch etc you should be looking at many many troublefree, entertaining & stylish miles :)

I'd knock another two years out of it anyway, whatever you change to you'll regret imo.
    211k kms on it not miles

A quick scout through DoneDeal and it looks around 8k is the right price for it. A handful of 2010s up mostly in dealers for 9-10k with lower miles.

millington wrote: »
    211k kms on it not miles

indeed, I meant kms just a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Another vote for keeping it, especially after all the work you have done. Gorgeous car and capable of the extra mileage I'd have thought. I wouldn't worry about the milage on a car as long as it's looked after.

I think it's time for a change, after what is by far and away the longest kept car I've ever owned.

I'll bung it on donedeal next week after I collect all the service history from home at the weekend.

But if anyone is interested in it give me a PM :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cough.. Giulia? :D

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Cough.. Giulia? :D
    They do drive great :cool: (me behind the wheel but it's hard to see)
    [IMG][/img]20160716_182719.jpg

Advertisement