Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop Cases

Options
  • 09-07-2016 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Planning a new build either later this year or early next year, and floor space restrictions means I've essentially zero space to place the usual tower case. Are there decent options for an m-ATX build, that will be geared toward mid/high end specs (gaming etc)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can rock a full, high end PC in an ITX case no problem (bit expensive though) so mATX is sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You can rock a full, high end PC in an ITX case no problem (bit expensive though) so mATX is sound

Cheers for that. For what I want it for (mid to high end specs for gaming), is micro ATX an option? I'm not looking at overclocking or anything, just want to put off the shelf components in & run them stock...in the smallest factor possible. I've space in a furniture unit for something a bit wider than an Xbox One, but I've zero floor space in this particular room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I was in your position a few years ago. I went Matx . I bought a case and put it on it's side so it fit under my glass tv stand on a shelf. I just stuck felt pads onto the side of the case.

You can pick up a nice Matx case very cheap. I used an Antec Nsk 4000 at the time. i think I payed €20 ish new .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cheers for that. For what I want it for (mid to high end specs for gaming), is micro ATX an option? I'm not looking at overclocking or anything, just want to put off the shelf components in & run them stock...in the smallest factor possible. I've space in a furniture unit for something a bit wider than an Xbox One, but I've zero floor space in this particular room.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057607548

Could easily have been done in a case not as wide, just need to cable manage a bit better.

I was in your position a few years ago. I went Matx . I bought a case and put it on it's side so it fit under my glass tv stand on a shelf. I just stuck felt pads onto the side of the case.

You can pick up a nice Matx case very cheap. I used an Antec Nsk 4000 at the time. i think I payed €20 ish new .

Is that Mini ATX yeah? Is there much difference in size between those & Micro ATX? I've a feeling I'd struggle to fit a decent graphics card in a Micro ATX case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only thing to worry about with mATX is with regards to GPU length & CPU cooler height.

Have look at the guides here:
    http://techbuyersguru.com/introduction-building-small-form-factor-pc

Then measure your enclosure and see if you can find a case with Geizhals' size limiter (ideally, leave 3-5cm breathing room).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057607548

Could easily have been done in a case not as wide, just need to cable manage a bit better.

Fantastic build, well done :)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The only thing to worry about with mATX is with regards to GPU length & CPU cooler height.

Have look at the guides here:
    http://techbuyersguru.com/introduction-building-small-form-factor-pc

Then measure your enclosure and see if you can find a case with Geizhals' size limiter (ideally, leave 3-5cm breathing room).

Cheers for that, that'll help a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Is that Mini ATX yeah? Is there much difference in size between those & Micro ATX? I've a feeling I'd struggle to fit a decent graphics card in a Micro ATX case...

Hi. Micro atx .

I had a 3770 and a r9 290 in the matx case . Everything was at stock .
    I got about 2 years out of it before I decided to go a bit bigger as airflow was not great and things could run a little hot at times , but it worked fine for what I needed.
    I've since bought a Corsair 230T and still have it.

Advertisement