Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Parish Records 1960

Options
  • 09-07-2016 11:20am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, are these records online anywhere or is it only older records? I am trying to find out if a baby was baptized. Her age on the death cert is given as 5 hours so I'm wondering if she was baptized.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too new to be online. It's very unlikely but if it was a hospital birth they should have records. However many regional maternity units closed in the 80s...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Records from so late in the day are not online, nor on microfilm in the NLI. Your only bet is to contact the PP in the applicable parish and either ask to see the baptismal book in person or ask him to look it up and transcribe it for you.

I've never had a polite request refused though every parish is different. You can but try. Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks guys, we think we know where the child was burried and my aunt got the birth and death certs. The baby was born at home so if she was baptized the priest would have had to come to them. There would only be one date to search so I guess it's worth a try asking the current priest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A priest is not necessary to baptise a child.
    Someone in the family could have done it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My mum thinks the midwife did it but she also though the birth was never registered so there is no harm in checking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's to put her mind at rest, I'd be fairly sure the midwife would have done it. My granny was a midwife and they regularly baptised poorly babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I attended one of the NLI lunch time talks a year or so ago and the lecturer said a child has to take two breaths in order for the birth to be recorded. I would think if the child was not expected to live it would be hurriedly baptised by whoever was present.

Advertisement