Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The negative impact of artistic expression

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

I was watching a music video of some hillbillies playing AC/DC's Thunderstuck and got to thinking about the expression in rock music towards rule breaking and how liberating that felt to see and hear it.

This lead to some thoughts about power dynamics..again..
    It seems the will is often expressed through art, and under oppression, art becomes the main form for expressing and releasing feelings of pain and suffering.

My thoughts are, if this form of expression helps relieve suffering, then it might also help to maintain control and sustained oppression as well.
    What if some fascist state decided to ban artistic expression?
    Is there a much greater chance of physical expression instead, that may actually have a stronger impact in a shorter amount of time?

Are dictators or monopolies of power and force more savvy, if they allow and even support artistic expression?

Much like the way I referred to protesting as a sort of tap to release pressure(in another recent thread I started), I am wondering if artistic expression also might work in the same way.

This is a little against myself, since I am a student of art.
    But then again, going against oneself might be the highest form of art.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HappyScribbling

More importantly, if you zoom in on the reg plate of the car in the video, you see it is from Finland....Now there's something to think about;0)
    As for the above you answer lies in European 20th century history, and there is a masters and possibly a PhD in answering that...good luck with it

Fellow Art student...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cornel West (1989) in The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism suggested that there was some disenchantment with traditionally conceived philosophical thinking, while at the same time a hesitancy to shift to other forms of philosophical conceptions and expressions. Traditional philosophy was caught in an interregnum of historic analytical dead end modes of philosophising that sacrificed vigor for rigor. Stepping out of traditional modes represented a frightening wilderness, where only the bold would venture into the aesthetic expressions of philosophy found in art, music, dance, cinematography, virtual world gaming, and the like.

That is not to say that traditional philosophers have avoided analyzing the aesthetic expressions of art, per se, rather their emphasis was more intellectually analytical and somewhat objectively sterile, somehow missing the emotive and creative energies of artistic aesthetic expressions. Romanticism emerged during the Age of Enlightenment and resolved part of the failures of traditional approaches that came before, but still falls short.

In opposition to these thoughts, the classical Greek plays capture a lot of what was claimed to be missing in this post, and flies in our faces upon reflection. Suggesting also yet other ancient to contemporary and cross-cultural aesthetic expressions that were dramatic, exhibiting richness, and continue to transcend from centuries past into the future using art as a driving force.
    Torakx wrote: »
    I was watching a music video of some hillbillies playing AC/DC's Thunderstuck and got to thinking about the expression in rock music towards rule breaking and how liberating that felt to see and hear it.
    Clock back to 1729's Jonathan Swift and his Modest Proposal, or further back to 431 BC Euripides and his Greek play Medea if you want to explore various types of artistic rule breaking (aesthetic expressions) overtime.

Advertisement