Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Controversial" boardwalk

Options
  • 08-07-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Cant understand why this proposed boardwalk along by the river in Athlone is being regarded as controversial.

Who could possibly object to such a wonderful amenity being but in place.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

martin1 wrote: »
    Cant understand why this proposed boardwalk along by the river in Athlone is being regarded as controversial.

Bored walkers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Haven't heard anything regarding a boardwalk type amenity. Any plans available for review?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Liffey boardwalk has its share of problems. Could be the new Burgess Park in terms of underage can-drinking spots that the cops "aren't aware of". :rolleyes:

That's 2 off the top of my head. Who called it controversial by the way? Personally would be in favour of it assuming its well policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Anyone have a link to the proposal so we can see it? They're doing some new pathways south of the current area of Burgess Park. To be honest it could all do with a bit of sprucing up, nice amenity if looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Controversial because it might lead to people using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

'Controversial' is a tag used by newspapers and other media to justify flogging a dead horse i.e. writing an endless series of articles about some topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

What side of the river are they thinking of putting it on does anyone know?

finooola wrote: »
    What side of the river are they thinking of putting it on does anyone know?

On the far side!

4ensic15 wrote: »
    On the far side!

The Roscommon side? I'd like that. That side could do with jazzing up. It's already nice along by the river over on this side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What they could do is update the area of Number 1, with lights and keeping the area clean.

• Advertisement

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    What they could do is update the area of Number 1, with lights and keeping the area clean.

Cleaning is not upgrading!

True, but it could do with both.

I walked down there once. I thought it was pretty nice. Anyway they are probably planning to put it along between the bridge and Burgess park. It's already nice enough as it is down there. I'd prefer them to put it on the other side, although they obviously couldn't put it anywhere near the lock, so it would have to go either along no. 1 or from the lock downriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Any maps or plans?

finooola wrote: »
    I walked down there once. I thought it was pretty nice....

You wouldn't after dark. Lord knows what sort of dodgey character you might meet.

You wouldn't after dark. Lord knows what sort of dodgey character you might meet.

Oh, drug dealers and ladies of the night (according to my mother in law). Actually according to a mate of mine who knows, you can buy... certain things down there, so MiL probably wasn't exaggerating for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

someone from Roscommon?

Advertisement