Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish component prices

Options
  • 08-07-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Are there no decent components stores in Ireland? Can't seem to find anywhere here that sells the rx 480. Seems only option is to order online from UK or geizhals in Germany.

Contacted Elara Online and they told me they have no information on that card. Pc world have nothing, eurieka nothing. Pixmania nothing

Maplin the only one I've found so far and it's going for 370!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's not as bad as I expected from Maplins, it's about €80 more than buying online but that's not the worst and to be expected, you're never going to find a retail shop selling cards for anything near online prices. Pixmania aren't Irish, they're French. Best sites are Mindfactory, OCUK, Amazon, SCAN, few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Honestly, what size do you think the market here is? It wouldn't be sustainable to have an Irish retailer with UK/German prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Are there seriously no decent components stores in Ireland. Can't seem to find anywhere here that sells the rx 480. Seems only option is to order online from UK or geizhals in Germany.

Contacted Elara Online and they told me they have no information on that card. Pc world have nothing, eurieka nothing. Pixmania nothing

Malpin the only one I've found so far and it's going for 370!

Crap

With Dublins(and Irelands in general) extortionate rents it just isnt feasible to keep every possible component on site in Ireland.

This link might be of interest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Are there seriously no decent components stores in Ireland. Can't seem to find anywhere here that sells the rx 480. Seems only option is to order online from UK or geizhals in Germany.

Malpin the only one I've found so far and it's going for 370!

Crap

Buying from bricks and mortar stores is always a bit of a rip off, no matter where you are, aside from the odd place in Germany. US/Canada excluded but look at the market size.

Why not simply buy from another EU member state, it's all the same currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Best 5

I remember the days when you could walk into PCWorld & get all the components for a Custom PC Build. Nowadays you would be lucky to get a keyboard. But as someone else said the market in Ireland is just too small compared to other countries. Online is your best option these days.

• Advertisement

Best 5 wrote: »
    I remember the days when you could walk into PCWorld & get all the components for a Custom PC Build. Nowadays you would be lucky to get a keyboard. But as someone else said the market in Ireland is just too small compared to other countries. Online is your best option these days.

Why on earth would you though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wanderireland

The prices are crazy at the moment

Why on earth would you though! :pac:

Convenience I suppose. And also being able to look at the parts & leave with components there & then. No waiting times. I know its a first world problem :-)

Best 5 wrote: »
    Convenience I suppose. And also being able to look at the parts & leave with components there & then. No waiting times. I know its a first world problem :-)

Why not fly to Germany? It'd be cheaper and you'd not have to deal with the ****e DSG sell.

My local does sell graphics cards, they're priced pretty OK for a walk-in retail store. Last time I checked a GTX750Ti was about €150 and GTX960 was about €230. I think that's pretty reasonable all things factored in.

I think people are too quick to shout 'rip-off' when sometime is more expensive than the cheapest price they can find online, it's quite unfair as it's simply not possible for a bricks and mortar store to match an online retailer.

• Advertisement

My local does sell graphics cards, they're priced pretty OK for a walk-in retail store. Last time I checked a GTX750Ti was about €150 and GTX960 was about €230. I think that's pretty reasonable all things factored in.

I think people are too quick to shout 'rip-off' when sometime is more expensive than the cheapest price they can find online, it's quite unfair as it's simply not possible for a bricks and mortar store to match an online retailer.

Yeah that's not bad for walk in Irish retail prices. I only just picked up a 4gb GTX960 last week for €200 online.

I don't mind paying a bit more at retail but they have to offer something else, service. That's not something PC World have every done.

Customer: "Hi, do you sell graphics cards here?"
    PC World Staff : vacant, blank stare
    Customer: awkward pause, awaiting some sort of response
    PC World Staff: "Can I interest you in a new TV, sir"

Customer: I'm delighted with my new hyper threaded Intel processor. I just need to get more RAM & my build will be up to date. Where are the RAM sticks?
    Summer Job Staff Member: Is that like, a male sheep?

Advertisement