Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions re: Filter lights

Options
  • 08-07-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

My driving test is Monday and I was wondering about a particular scenario from a few weeks ago.
    I was having a lesson a few weeks ago where my instructor brought me to a traffic lights with a filter light to the right. He asked me to turn right. The light went green but the filter light didn't light green just yet. There were no cars in the opposite direction so I proceeded to turn right when my instructor stopped me and told me off for it. I waited for the green filter light and turned right.
    I have a few questions regarding this scenario;
    1. Should I have moved into the centre of the road while the main light was green and before the filter light turned green, or should I have stayed behind and waited for the filter light to turn green before moving into the centre of the road then turning right?

2. I read that if the light turns green but the filter light doesn't light up and there are no cars coming from the opposite direction, then the driver can turn right regardless of the filter light. Is this true or was my instructor right in that I should have stayed and waited for the filter light before turning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was the green light a solid green light or an arrow green light?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

dudara wrote: »
    Was the green light a solid green light or an arrow green light?

the filter light was an arrow to the right

Not the filter light but the other one

there was a normal traffic light ie the round red, amber and green lights with an arrow light attached to it

If the main traffic light was a full round green light, then yes, you can proceed forward and turn right, assuming that the way is clear of oncoming traffic. If busy, you can still pull forward and prepare to make the turn.

If the main light was a straight ahead arrow, then you have to wait at the white line for either the filter light to go green, or for a full green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You were correct to go then. The instructor is wrong. I'd be looking for a new one if he doesn't know how traffic lights work.

You were correct to go then. The instructor is wrong. I'd be looking for a new one if he doesn't know how traffic lights work.

last lesson tomorrow so changing instructors wouldn't do much!

no worries, I passed this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If green is an arrow then you can only proceed where arrow is pointing.
    If green is a solid round then you may turn any direction, when safe to do so.

Advertisement