Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a website without login details for domain name

Options
  • 08-07-2016 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm trying to host a website but my colleague who bought the domain name won't send me his login details for the site he bought it on. I'm wondering is there any way to host the site, using this domain name, without his login details. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you have proof of ownership of the domain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Steve wrote: »
    Do you have proof of ownership of the domain?

Yes he forwarded me his receipt but that was all he sent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ask your colleague to do one of the following:

setup the appropriate DNS entries to point to your web server
    or
    change the name servers to the ones supplied by your hosting provider
    or
    change the name servers to a 3rd party DNS provider (e.g. cloud flare)
    or
    transfer the domain into an account under your control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Graham wrote: »
    Ask your colleague to setup the appropriate DNS entries to point to your web server.

The problem is that he's in his 60's and lives far away so I'm not sure if he'll be able to do that on his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Who is the registrar? Is it .ie?

If you can prove you own the domain then you can easily get access.

If all you have is a receipt from a third party then I don't think it's much use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The problem is that he's in his 60's and lives far away so I'm not sure if he'll be able to do that on his own.

Unless you're going to try and reclaim the domain through official channels (assuming it's yours) you will need the cooperation of your colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Graham wrote: »
    Ask your colleague to setup the appropriate DNS entries to point to your web server.

Either get them to forward you all the details they have or talk them through it.. Ultimately if they've registered the domain name they control it. Either they give you control or they make the changes you need. Trying to sidestep them won't work with any proper registrar.

Advertisement