Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-63 Rental Property and Fire Regulations

Options
  • 08-07-2016 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am looking for peoples thoughts on the requirements of a Pre-63 property in multiple units to adhere to current Fire Regulations. I have read the other threads on here but there appears to be a lot of confusion, particularly in relation to planning issues. I am just concerned with the fire regulations.

I am aware that Pre-63 properties did not have to comply with planning regulations as there was no regulations pre-63 so are therefore exempt.

However my question is regarding Building regulations and particularly the Fire regulations contained within such. Are Pre-63 properties also exempt from compliance with Building Regulations, as is the case for Planning regulations?

If this is the case then, is it correct to assume that the property does not now have to be compliant with current fire regulations?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pre 63 buildings are a planning issue.

Fire regulations are current and it's up to the landlord/owner to ensure some sort of duty of car in order to comply with the ease f escape regulations and to comply with the fire services act.

It may not mean full compliance with the current TGD B but certain areas will have to be uk to scratch, like fire alarm and detection systems and escape routes not been blocked etc and emergency lighting.

If hat building owner ever decides to go for planning for bigger units or a new layout to comply with the housing standards etc then planning will be required and thus a new fire cert and compliance with current regs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a fire safety engineer to inspect the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Fire regulations and building control regulations are separate things.

Requirement to have a fire safety cert came in on 1st August 1992 under the Building Control Regulations. This applies to construction, extension or change of use of buildings as well as material alterations in some buildings. A building constructed before 1992 with no changes of use / extension / material alteration since then wouldn't have a fire cert.

Pretty much all buildings other than domestic dwellings are also subject to the Fire Services Act - specifically the general fire safety requirements imposed under section 18. There is no cutoff date to this one.

If it's private rented accommodation, there are fire safety requirements under the Housing Standards Regulations, and if it's a workplace, the Safety Health & Welfare Regs include stuff related to fire safety also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The public consultation on the draft new Part B for Dwellings is out this week:
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/public-consultation-review-part-b-fire-safety-building-regulations-2016

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

civdef wrote: »
    The public consultation on the draft new Part B for Dwellings is out this week:
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/public-consultation-review-part-b-fire-safety-building-regulations-2016

Yeah. Got the SI last week. I posted a link to it then in the other forum. Submissions from 22nd July.

It's been on the website for a week or so by now.
    Hopefully some common sense amendments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    Hopefully some common sense amendments.
    :D:rolleyes::(

Advertisement