Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio App now available in ROI

Options
  • 08-07-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I saw earlier on the BBC website that the international BBC Radio App is being rolled out today, and the Republic of Ireland is the first country to get it. This allows radio programmes to be downloaded and listened to offline as well as full access to all the BBC Radio channels. This is a great development.
    Sorry - can't post link at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

CorkMartin wrote: »
    I saw earlier on the BBC website that the international BBC Radio App is being rolled out today, and the Republic of Ireland is the first country to get it. This allows radio programmes to be downloaded and listened to offline as well as full access to all the BBC Radio channels. This is a great development.
    Sorry - can't post link at the moment.

Many thanks. I've just downloaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Also on Amazon Appstore for Android users. Excellent news that it works offline, which of course is the major drawback with TuneIn, and the sound quality is much superior!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Will possibly have rights issues with live sports on 5 live.

But a good app, have downloaded to my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Will possibly have rights issues with live sports on 5 live.

But a good app, have downloaded to my phone.

Indeed, the usual "Due to rights restrictions, this programme is unavailable" will doubtless be heard, but there are workarounds, which we shall not mention here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Been using it from the UK store for a long time. It's a great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Indeed, the usual "Due to rights restrictions, this programme is unavailable" will doubtless be heard, but there are workarounds, which we shall not mention here!

Yep, just tried Five Live and the Wimbledon tennis commentary is blocked. Not much good here so, will have to continue with " other" methods for sports commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

galtee boy wrote:
    Yep, just tried Five Live and the Wimbledon tennis commentary is blocked. Not much good here so, will have to continue with " other" methods for sports commentaries.

Ye, FTA satellite and MW radio :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No problem mentioning either of those methods incidentally.

Indeed I'm not sure why anyone would need in Ireland to resort to the methods we can't talk about to get commentary on Wimbledon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

icdg wrote: »
    No problem mentioning either of those methods incidentally.

Indeed I'm not sure why anyone would need in Ireland to resort to the methods we can't talk about to get commentary on Wimbledon.

I am a tennis fan, but I will admit , tennis commentary on the radio even for me, is stretching it a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Download the <deleted> app from the playstore and select the UK, you'll have no problem listening to live sports then.
    All above board too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Download the <Deleted> app from the playstore and select the UK, you'll have no problem listening to live sports then.
    All above board too

No, that's one of the things you can't talk about. You can take a 48 hour ban too, since it was mentioned on thread already

5 Live Sports Extra isn't in the list probably because of restrictions over broadcast rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apart from the catchup, I already listen every day to BBC radio through Tunein Radio app.

Get the podcasts with Stitcher, or the podcast app.

So it is only catchup so?

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Apart from the catchup, I already listen every day to BBC radio through Tunein Radio app.

Get the podcasts with Stitcher, or the podcast app.

So it is only catchup so?

Or am I missing something?

From just using 6 Music .. here are 4 major advantages over TuneIn:

1. High Quality Streams (was just flciking between apps, iPlayer radio is way better)

2. BBC app shows the current track playing as well as recently played tracks... well cool

3. Provides a schedule like TV epg.

4. No annoying TuneIn adverts played before the radio channel starts (honestly I don't want to know about the new Biffy Clyro album thanks)

a "minor" advantage is that it is actually an easily navigated app unlike TuneIn which is a mess (IMHO)

Typically of the BBC.. the app is excellent. BBC really do make great apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Some good documentaries on bbc 4 and i like bbc radio 1..All in all a great app and no problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Great app and very much welcomed here.

Advertisement