Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish citizen arriving in Canada from the US after US visa expires

Options
  • 08-07-2016 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, was just wondering whether I'd have any issues arriving in Canada to spend a week or two travelling if arriving from the US following the expiration of my US visa. This could be via an airplane or a bus, I'm not sure which yet. And I may or may not need to fly within the country from city to city too.

I want to spend a few weeks there rather than flying directly home.

Can't imagine I'd have any issues leaving

Sorry for copying that from the sticky thread but I got no answers there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Can't answer your main question, but if you ever plan on returning someday to the US, make sure you do not remain there after your visa there expires, even for a day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd recommend having your return (out of Canada) flight booked before you get to the border. If you just arrive at the border with an out-of-date US visa and no firm plans to leave Canada, it will raise a lot of red flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Faith wrote: »
    I'd recommend having your return (out of Canada) flight booked before you get to the border. If you just arrive at the border with an out-of-date US visa and no firm plans to leave Canada, it will raise a lot of red flags.
    yep, I will
    ectoraige wrote: »
    Can't answer your main question, but if you ever plan on returning someday to the US, make sure you do not remain there after your visa there expires, even for a day.
    I'm allowed stay in the country for 30 days after my visa expires, but thanks for reminding me to double check that!

I'm most likely just gonna be in Toronto and Montreal (partially scouting out potential places to move to, tbh), if anyone has some recommendations for places to go to that are relatively cheap to get to from either of those, I'd love to hear them too.

Advertisement