Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Marking Question??

Options
  • 08-07-2016 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm wondering- if HL Maths is your lowest score in the Leaving and it isn't counted in your points, do you still receive the bonus 25 points for a pass? Or are they knocked off with the grade? I'm trying to figure out how many points certain marks would get, and I couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere else :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

You take the points from your 6 highest subjects, so if you get HC3 in maths that's 70 points, but if you had other subjects which were a HB3 or higher (75 points) then you would count them instead

Dice you only count your best 6 it would be my interpretation that if you are not counting maths as one of your best 6 then you wouldn't be adding the bonus points to the score of your top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Say HL Maths is your lowest grade in the leaving cert, say HD3, you would get 45 + 25 = 70 points. Then if you had a HC3 (60 points) in English that would be dismissed. So in that scenario you get the bonus 25 points even though Maths was your lowest grade.

However, if you get a HD3 in Maths and a HB3 (75 points) or higher in everything else then Maths is not counted. In that case, the bonus 25 points is not added to your overall points tally.

I'm talking about Leaving Cert 2016. There will be different points and grades for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You get the bonus points for maths if you pass the HL exam.

In calculating your points score, it would be better to look at it in terms of, what are your 6 highest points subjects rather than grades.

A points score in maths (including the bonus) will be counted ahead of a points score in another subject if your maths points are higher than the points scored for the other subject, even if the other grade is higher.

So a HD3 in Maths (45+25 = 70) > HD1 (55)

Advertisement