Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does this number plate mean?

Options
  • 07-07-2016 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Seen a car in Limerick today, normal Irish car Reg but at the end it said CD.
    Is this Commercial Plate or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It belongs to a member of staff from an embassy. They're able to avoid prosecution for loads of motoring offences due to their diplomatic immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Depending on the kind of car it was either a diplomat or just consular staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Seen a car in Limerick today, normal Irish car Reg but at the end it said CD.
    Is this Commercial Plate or something else?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_corps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It belongs to a member of staff from an embassy. They're able to avoid prosecution for loads of motoring offences due to their diplomatic immunity.

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for that? Surely common sense is a case of 'when in Rome' and all laws need to be abided by? I can understand if you are transporting a minister of state e.g. Bus lane usage but just for driving around?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Whats to sop me putting a CD sticker on my reg to avoid parking fines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

ironclaw wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for that? Surely common sense is a case of 'when in Rome' and all laws need to be abided by? I can understand if you are transporting a minister of state e.g. Bus lane usage but just for driving around?

It's the Vienna Convention

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Zascar wrote: »
    Whats to sop me putting a CD sticker on my reg to avoid parking fines?

PNj3vMEh.jpg

Advertisement