Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Abroad

Options
  • 07-07-2016 9:37pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 23


    *Not sure if this is the right topic and am not used to Boards*

    I am going abroad to Spain in less than 2 days and I am wondering if shops in Spain would accept a Garda Age card as proof of ID when purchasing the likes of alcohol?
    I will have my passport but I don't really want to bring it around with me everywhere incase I lose it.
    Thanks


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Almost certainly not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895


    What age are you? The legal age in spain to the best of my recollection is only 16 and i never seen anyone get id'd there. Having said that, it could all well depend if you are in a resort or city.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    dan1895 wrote: »
    What age are you? The legal age in spain to the best of my recollection is only 16 and i never seen anyone get id'd there. Having said that, it could all well depend if you are in a resort or city.

    18 in Spain for quite some time.

    They are extremely lax, though. EEA format driving licence or passport is the only Irish ID they'd accept if they ask, however.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1


    dan1895 wrote: »
    What age are you? The legal age in spain to the best of my recollection is only 16 and i never seen anyone get id'd there. Having said that, it could all well depend if you are in a resort or city.

    It changed to 18 twelve years ago and I have seen them look for ID.

    OP what age are you and what area are you going to?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ShaneReno


    dan1895 wrote: »
    What age are you? The legal age in spain to the best of my recollection is only 16 and i never seen anyone get id'd there. Having said that, it could all well depend if you are in a resort or city.

    I am 18 and going on a 6th Year holiday, I can use my passport but would it be useless bringing my age card?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    ShaneReno wrote: »
    but would it be useless bringing my age card?

    Yes. It looks home made, basically. Passport and don't get pissed enough to lose it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj


    This is precisely why we introduced the passport card - because Irish students were going on nights out in Europe with their passports to satisfy age requirements and then losing them because they didn't fit into a standard wallet or purse.

    OP, get a passport card to use as age verification but bring your old-fashioned passport as well and leave the latter in the hotel or apartment. nobody in Spain or any other country will accept a Garda card.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005


    coylemj wrote: »
    This is precisely why we introduced the passport card - because Irish students were going on nights out in Europe with their passports to satisfy age requirements and then losing them because they didn't fit into a standard wallet or purse.

    OP, get a passport card to use as age verification but bring your old-fashioned passport as well and leave the latter in the hotel or apartment. nobody in Spain or any other country will accept a Garda card.

    What's the point of bringing the passport when the card covers everything?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice


    Del2005 wrote: »
    What's the point of bringing the passport when the card covers everything?

    I assume in case the person gets pissed and mislays the wallet still have passport back in hotel safe.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    coylemj wrote: »
    This is precisely why we introduced the passport card - because Irish students were going on nights out in Europe with their passports to satisfy age requirements and then losing them because they didn't fit into a standard wallet or purse.

    OP, get a passport card to use as age verification but bring your old-fashioned passport as well and leave the latter in the hotel or apartment. nobody in Spain or any other country will accept a Garda card.

    Won't get the card in 2 days. Useful for future use


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ShaneReno


    coylemj wrote: »
    This is precisely why we introduced the passport card - because Irish students were going on nights out in Europe with their passports to satisfy age requirements and then losing them because they didn't fit into a standard wallet or purse.

    I didn't know this, but it's too late now, I may use this for the future thanks!


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava


    You could also bring a photocopy of your passport, might not be accepted in all places but should in most.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    nava wrote: »
    You could also bring a photocopy of your passport, might not be accepted in all places but should in most.

    I can't see *anywhere* accepting it. Photoshop central.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava


    L1011 wrote: »
    I can't see *anywhere* accepting it. Photoshop central.

    I used them in the past before chip and pin cards you needed to show proof of name in the shops, thy accepted photocopies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ShaneReno


    A follow up, I went on the holiday and had a decent time, however lost my phone :/
    But I bought alcohol countless times and was never ID'd once! Success in my books I guess lol


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal


    Shops might accept the id, they might not.

    I've personally used my ancient age card id for id in the USA and Canada over the past 15 years a few times, it's always been accepted. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj


    ShaneReno wrote: »
    A follow up, I went on the holiday and had a decent time, however lost my phone :/
    But I bought alcohol countless times and was never ID'd once! Success in my books I guess lol

    You may look older than your actual age but in most cases it's down to how vigorously the local cops enforce the age regulations.

    If the licensee is liable for a major fine or to be closed down for a day or more as punishment if they're caught selling drinks to underage people and the local cops enforce the regulations, it will typically result in the staff being instructed to ask everyone for ID and face the threat of being sacked for an infringement - as happens here in the bigger off-licences.....

    Court rules that Dunnes were right to sack shop assistant who sold wine to 16-year-old


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005


    Cabaal wrote: »
    Shops might accept the id, they might not.

    I've personally used my ancient age card id for id in the USA and Canada over the past 15 years a few times, it's always been accepted. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't

    A friend had trouble with an expired Az driving licence in Or, let them in with their Irish licence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj


    Del2005 wrote: »
    A friend had trouble with an expired Az driving licence in Or, let them in with their Irish licence.

    It's bizarre how people like Ryanair won't accept an expired passport for travel to the UK - it's as if you cease to be the person named (with the stated DOB) on the day the document expires!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc


    Listen, I got asked for ID in Australia recently, as did my aunt...we were born in the 1970s and 60s respectively. It was quite cute actually as my grandmother (at 90) got quite upset at not being included so they carded her as well. I don't think anyone genuinely thought (any of us) were underage (the powers of makeup can only do so much) but it was a mandatory thing to release the till.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement