Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VET MED UCD EMS HELP

• 07-07-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I am a 2nd year vet med student(undergrad) in UCD. We have to do EMS placement that began after Christmas of 1st year and will end at the end of 2nd year. I am just very confused on what exactly we are expected to do. We are given recommended time guidelines which say we should spend two weeks on each animal category. But if I were to only do a few days of lets say, pigs, how will that pan out? Can I move on to 3rd year? Will there be any repercussions with regards to my degree credits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭omicron

kiwi27 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a 2nd year vet med student(undergrad) in UCD. We have to do EMS placement that began after Christmas of 1st year and will end at the end of 2nd year. I am just very confused on what exactly we are expected to do. We are given recommended time guidelines which say we should spend two weeks on each animal category. But if I were to only do a few days of lets say, pigs, how will that pan out? Can I move on to 3rd year? Will there be any repercussions with regards to my degree credits?

It used to be the case that you weren't checked for pre clinical EMS (1st and 2nd year) and it was up to yourself to do it.

As far as I know you now have electronic submission and it's enforced, so yes I'd imagine you'll have to do it - if you don't have your clinical EMS done in the later years you can't graduate.

If you decide to take short cuts I'd strongly advise at least doing the lambing and calving experience, and ideally some pig and horse work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwi27

omicron wrote: »
    It used to be the case that you weren't checked for pre clinical EMS (1st and 2nd year) and it was up to yourself to do it.

As far as I know you now have electronic submission and it's enforced, so yes I'd imagine you'll have to do it - if you don't have your clinical EMS done in the later years you can't graduate.

If you decide to take short cuts I'd strongly advise at least doing the lambing and calving experience, and ideally some pig and horse work as well.

Thanks for the reply. I have already done some placement, and I had planned on doing the rest. Yeah we do have electronic submission, although I still get the impression it isn't really checked by the coordinator. I am concerned as I've only done a few days of one animal group and I really think doing two weeks is unnecessary and I really do not want to have to do another week so hopefully that won't set me back too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭omicron

kiwi27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have already done some placement, and I had planned on doing the rest. Yeah we do have electronic submission, although I still get the impression it isn't really checked by the coordinator. I am concerned as I've only done a few days of one animal group and I really think doing two weeks is unnecessary and I really do not want to have to do another week so hopefully that won't set me back too much.

I don't know how the electronic submission works, but they're only really looking for you to have an idea with the pigs etc so doubt it'll be too heavily enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwi27

omicron wrote: »
    I don't know how the electronic submission works, but they're only really looking for you to have an idea with the pigs etc so doubt it'll be too heavily enforced.

We apply for a placement on sisweb, then the person we do the placement with fills out an online form on this app and it gets sent to our co ordinator. Just in case you were curious :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I think in this case you'd be best to contact a staff member to discuss the situation with them. They're the best person/people to advise you. The last thing you want is to have issues which could impact on your progression.

• Advertisement
Advertisement