Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcatel Idol 4 / 4S

Options
  • 07-07-2016 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

I've the Idol4 (+VRset) on order at 319e

Reviews look pretty good for both it and it's bigger brother the 4S

Alcatel appear to be making a big move into the quality midrange market - both of these are Galaxy S6/7 design-alikes with the glass backs and metal and besides that appear to pack a punch especially the JBL speakers back and front and reversible display plus Android is very close to stock.

I know the latest top Vodafone branded Smart Platinum 7 is an Idol 4S and the hardware in that seems to be getting plaudits left, right and centre

When I get my Idol 4, I'll post up a review but any others have one of these or any opinions on Alcatel (lately not the past!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No takers? Lol.
    Anyhow, despite a major glitch in delivery i finally got my hands on this.

It is very quick.
    No lag, screen very bright and outdoors very good.
    The sound on this is unsurpassed, move over HTC. I mean, it is unsurpassed.
    Almost pure stock android but despite this Alcatel have fcked about with fastboot commands so not a choice for modders...yet.
    The total package is excellent - phone, VR headset, back cover (clear, discreet), glass protector, JBL in-ear buds.
    Build quality is excellent - Samsung glass and metal abounds.

Like all phones, takes a few battery drains and reboots/less than 2 days to settle in and then battery life is good for a day + with a few non-root tweaks (Greenify)

I'd love to have got the 4s but n/a right now and probably a tad too expensive (about 420-450 I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think this thread will get a lot busier when the people figure out how good a package it is, I've tried it, nice looking phone with good specs. Coming in at less than half the price of an s6/s7 with a headset included makes it a bargain.
    I'd say it'll be on sale everywhere in the next few weeks. The 4s could be a very popular phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The 4s looks very good. Anyone know how much it will cost for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No takers? Lol.
    Anyhow, despite a major glitch in delivery i finally got my hands on this.

It is very quick.
    No lag, screen very bright and outdoors very good.
    The sound on this is unsurpassed, move over HTC. I mean, it is unsurpassed.
    Almost pure stock android but despite this Alcatel have fcked about with fastboot commands so not a choice for modders...yet.
    The total package is excellent - phone, VR headset, back cover (clear, discreet), glass protector, JBL in-ear buds.
    Build quality is excellent - Samsung glass and metal abounds.

Like all phones, takes a few battery drains and reboots/less than 2 days to settle in and then battery life is good for a day + with a few non-root tweaks (Greenify)

I'd love to have got the 4s but n/a right now and probably a tad too expensive (about 420-450 I believe)

Are you still using the phone. If so how it going for you thinking of buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Anybody using one of these?
    Meteor have the idol 4, vr headset and a smart watch for €199, am going to pull the trigger on this but just haven't seen any one with one so not sure how good it really is.
    Btw three have the idol 4 and the vr headset for €99, when you move your number over, but it looks like it is awkward to get it unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It's not that awkward. I got one on Friday and got it unlocked over the weekend. Took an hour in one of those phone unlocking shops. Cost 20 euro.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It's not that awkward. I got one on Friday and got it unlocked over the weekend. Took an hour in one of those phone unlocking shops. Cost 20 euro.

Out of stock now on the three website, any issues with the phone? How is the battery?

wilser wrote: »
    Out of stock now on the three website, any issues with the phone? How is the battery?

Haven't actually used it. It's a bday present but I'll see how they go over the next week or so.
    It's not online but there was 1 left in the square after I got mine so it might still be there.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Haven't actually used it. It's a bday present but I'll see how they go over the next week or so.
    It's not online but there was 1 left in the square after I got mine so it might still be there.

Have you tried another sim in it?
    Other posters in the bargain alerts got money back from the Chinese shops cos they couldn't get an unlock code for it.
    Will be up in the square later on so will check then, which unlock shop did you use?

Ye, I basically took it out of the box, handed it over to your man, collected it an hour later, brought it home and tested another SIM, then put it back in it's box. So it looks like it's actually unlocked.

I got it done in Portlaoise. Was down there at the weekend for a few hours and had the phone so chanced it, and it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 leadbelly05

Is the smart watch any good or just a gimmick?

Is the smart watch any good or just a gimmick?

I got one with my phone yesterday, I had a quick play with it. Bit of a gimmick for me but I gave it to my 12 year old and he loves it.

Advertisement