Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experienced PC Builders in Ireland???

Options
  • 07-07-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, all.

Is there any PC Builders (for music production) in Ireland that you would recommend?

If not, where would you suggest I go?

I am not building it myself. I would prefer to get it built by someone experienced.

Many thanks in advance,

Meek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Tonnes of us here on boards would build you a PC for he price of a pint.

Where are you located?

Can I ask the reasoning you won't build yourself, it is very simple to do

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meek

Tonnes of us here on boards would build you a PC for he price of a pint.

Where are you located?

Can I ask the reasoning you won't build yourself, it is very simple to do

I am in Carlow.

I would prefer someone who has a track record of building PCs, you know? I know what I need but I'm just not experienced enough to do it myself. I have had so much conflicting and different advice from people about what to get and what not to get. It's a little overwhelming. Anyway, I'm on a budget of €1500 and I don't want to make a mistake, really.

Have you looked at any building videos on youtube or anything? Everybody starts off with zero experience and does there first build, obviously it's fine if you really don't want to but I'd defintely have a proper look at the ins and outs before ruling it out totally.

I don't know of any of our regs that are in Carlow off the top of my head, you might find someone local in the Off Topic on this forum.

Have you got a part list or are you after one? You'll get conflicting opinions here as everywhere else but we can normally settle onto one solid build, or two practically identical ones.

Have you looked at any building videos on youtube or anything? Everybody starts off with zero experience and does there first build, obviously it's fine if you really don't want to but I'd defintely have a proper look at the ins and outs before ruling it out totally.

I don't know of any of our regs that are in Carlow off the top of my head, you might find someone local in the Off Topic on this forum.

Have you got a part list or are you after one? You'll get conflicting opinions here as everywhere else but we can normally settle onto one solid build, or two practically identical ones.

Thanks for the message. It's not something I'm totally against, no. It's just that I presume it's a difficult process and I've heard some 'horror stories' from first-time builders. I will check out YouTube and see.

As for a part-list, I do have one . . . but the main three things that are absolute and (hopefully) can't be debated are

(1) i7 processor
    (2) 32GB RAM (upgradeable to 64GB RAM)
    (3) A soundcard that supports ASIO drivers.

M.

Can you post the full list and let us pick it apart?

It's not hard at all, theres about 7 cables in total, and they're all fairly obvious where they go, there's one port for each of them, it's like expensive lego

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

it's like expensive lego

This. Most bits just click in.

Can you post the full list and let us pick it apart?

It's not hard at all, theres about 7 cables in total, and they're all fairly obvious where they go, there's one port for each of them, it's like expensive lego

OK, sure. I'll post here . . .

- i7 processor compatible with 32GB RAM but upgradeable to 64GB RAM (now sure which one yet)
    - Soundcard that supports ASIO drivers
    - Video card that allows me to run at lest 2 monitors (screens)
    - Hard drive (2 TB)
    - SSD (500GB or 250GB? I'm not sure what's necessary, if either are at all)
    - Graphics card
    - Quiet PC (case fans, video card fans, power supply fans, CPU fans, mechanical drives, etc.)
    - Windows 10 64 Bit

I'm not sure about what cooling material I'd need either.

So, yeah, lots of general needs but nothing really specific yet. Maybe you can help me?

I'm going to be MIDI-composing, using orchestral sound-libraries.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

I used to build a lot of PC's as an after hours 'business' to let earn me the money to upgrade my own kit etc :D

I've not built in a little while now though as I no longer need the financial extras ;)

If you're dead set on having an experienced PC builder do it (and I can give you reference or two), I'll happily help you out but I'm in Co.Clare. I don't come cheap though! :P

Deagol wrote: »
    I used to build a lot of PC's as an after hours 'business' to let earn me the money to upgrade my own kit etc :D

I've not built in a little while now though as I no longer need the financial extras ;)

If you're dead set on having an experienced PC builder do it (and I can give you reference or two), I'll happily help you out but I'm in Co.Clare. I don't come cheap though! :P

By all means, forward on the references, please :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The main thing about self-building is that you save a lot of money versus buying one from a retailer - typically about 30%, but it can be even higher depending on what it is.

You also get to precisely define what it is you want rather than having to take a PC that's probably 20% stuff you don't need or want.

It is easy to build once you have an idea of what you're doing before-hand but equally it's not for everyone, some people prefer to take the hassle and risk free option which is totally understandable. It's not really much different from people who pay to have laminate flooring installed or have their house painted, even though it's not difficult to do.

As Digital said loads of us here who'd happily put it together for you for a pint (or a six pack) :)

Some companies offer the option to assemble your PC for you, you could also look into this - that way you get the best of both worlds, self-build prices and choice, but the work is done for you. Usually it's about €20-€30.

• Advertisement

The main thing about self-building is that you save a lot of money versus buying one from a retailer - typically about 30%, but it can be even higher depending on what it is.

You also get to precisely define what it is you want rather than having to take a PC that's probably 20% stuff you don't need or want.

It is easy to build once you have an idea of what you're doing before-hand but equally it's not for everyone, some people prefer to take the hassle and risk free option which is totally understandable. It's not really much different from people who pay to have laminate flooring installed or have their house painted, even though it's not difficult to do.

As Digital said loads of us here who'd happily put it together for you for a pint (or a six pack) :)

Some companies offer the option to assemble your PC for you, you could also look into this - that way you get the best of both worlds, self-build prices and choice, but the work is done for you. Usually it's about €20-€30.

Might you be able to suggest some companies that do just that? I appreciate the help.

I'd do it for you no bother but I'm in Galway so won't be able to travel over, I'd charge nothing for the time if you could call this way though.

I thoguht you had a specific part list but I'll post one now

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€315.97 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€38.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€96.62 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€77.39 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 1GB ZONE Video Card
    Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€137.71 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Silent 430W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply (€127.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €794.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-07 20:43 CEST+0200

I can't see anywhere to push the budget higher, sound card is omitted as I know nothing about them, not sure if you need monitors or not. 2 1440p monitors would be lovely if you need screen space and run about €500 no worries.

Picked a passive PSU and GPU also, but GPU will need to be changed if you need 2 HDMI ports, its fine if you can use a display port too.

Total so far is 1100 not 800

I can't see anywhere to push the budget higher, sound card is omitted as I know nothing about them, not sure if you need monitors or not. 2 1440p monitors would be lovely if you need screen space and run about €500 no worries.

Picked a passive PSU and GPU also, but GPU will need to be changed if you need 2 HDMI ports, its fine if you can use a display port too.

Total so far is 1100 not 800

Thanks for going to the bother of listing these. Would this be OK for MIDI-composing with orchestral sound libraries? I understand that it's quite RAM-heavy.

M.

No problem

I have no idea what any of that means but you can't really get a higher spec on consumer level parts.

You'll have to wait for one of the pros to come along and answer that question though, I'm just a gamer

No problem

I have no idea what any of that means but you can't really get a higher spec on consumer level parts.

You'll have to wait for one of the pros to come along and answer that question though, I'm just a gamer

Is the process as simple as looking for parts online, sourcing the retailers with the most affordable parts, buying an appropriate case, and connect the parts to the whole, as it were?
    Is that 'connecting' difficult to do? The guys on here so far seem to think it's not that hard.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Meek wrote: »
    Is the process as simple as looking for parts online, sourcing the retailers with the most affordable parts, buying an appropriate case, and connect the parts to the whole, as it were?
    Is that 'connecting' difficult to do? The guys on here so far seem to think it's not that hard.

M.
    I've never built before but either will try to do it again or will be posting something here asking for help too soon enough. I've ordered my parts, have all except the graphics card now. My build will involve getting the CPU out of what I'm currently using and putting that and all the other stuff which is new in to a new case.

I got as far as opening this case and thinking 'ah feck I'm going to screw this up... actually.. I'll just wait for the new graphics card to arrive..' Putting it on the long finger till the graphics card arrives and I'll have no justification for putting it off. Looking at a few videos, some of it seems ok, getting the motherboard, putting the CPU and RAM in seems fine (but I'd probably find a way of screwing it up anyway) the real problem is the cable management type thing.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've never built before but either will try to do it again or will be posting something here asking for help too soon enough. I've ordered my parts, have all except the graphics card now. My build will involve getting the CPU out of what I'm currently using and putting that and all the other stuff which is new in to a new case.

I got as far as opening this case and thinking 'ah feck I'm going to screw this up... actually.. I'll just wait for the new graphics card to arrive..' Putting it on the long finger till the graphics card arrives and I'll have no justification for putting it off. Looking at a few videos, some of it seems ok, getting the motherboard, putting the CPU and RAM in seems fine (but I'd probably find a way of screwing it up anyway) the real problem is the cable management type thing.

Very interesting. Would be really interested to know how you get on. Could you give some info on what you are using and for what too?

Very interesting. Would be really interested to know how you get on. Could you give some info on what you are using and for what too?
    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jxZ8K

I have all of the above except the motherboard and the graphics card actually. Sold the motherboard to a boardise who was stuck but ordered the one in that list. Expecting for it to arrive before the 1070. It's only gaming for me, no video editing/music editing any of that stuff.

Pushtrak wrote: »

I have all of the above except the motherboard and the graphics card actually. Sold the motherboard to a boardise who was stuck but ordered the one in that list. Expecting for it to arrive before the 1070. It's only gaming for me, no video editing/music editing any of that stuff.

Sure. It'll just be interesting to see how you get on. I'm tempted to build myself after all of this . . .

• Advertisement

I was expecting my graphics card on the 29th of June, was put back to the 6th, then to the 13th. Who knows, could be put back again. I'm not counting on anything till it's in my hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I had this reply saved from the last thread you posted (been busy -currently in the middle of Xmas ordering in my world!):
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have a Focusrite 2i2 right now, which has no MIDI ports, so will I have to upgrade to a 2i4 so as to use connect up my digital piano (Yamaha P-155)?
    No need to upgrade your soundcard, you could buy something like the Midisport 2x2 or 4x4 and save the hassle and some cash. Unless you'd prefer to have everything in one box.
    My expectations . . . at the start of this process, I would like to have appropriate i7, 16GB RAM (with space for 32GB), and a soundcard that supports ASIO drivers. Type of music . . . sometimes piano-based soundscapes, sometimes orchestral cinematic/'epic' music.
    Easily the most important thing in this build is the speakers. Good studio monitors aren't cheap, but with your budget Yamaha's HS5s are a classic option (not great for anything with much low-end but otherwise they're a studio mainstay) and Tannoy Reveal 502s or 802s are a good bang for buck option.

The suggested build above is missing a couple of storage drives at least unless you like audio drop-outs while recording, or flattening to limit the amount of tracks + effects playing.

There should be one for OS+DAW+VSTs (SSD preferred), one for sound libraries (SSD preferred - loading hundreds samples from multiple libraries to RAM can be slow), one for recording to (7200rpm HDD would be fine for this) and at least one large backup drive for all those other drives (any speed HDD is fine for this) - if you don't get at least one backup drive you'll learn in time why you should've! (Edited due to new thread: you could add the two extra drives later. Having all four at once is only a prerequisite if you're taking this very seriously and time or money depend on it)

Fractal Design Define S is a nice quiet case for not too much money. You'll also want a quiet PSU. Passive PSUs are expensive, but beQuiet's 400w Straight Power 10 is a safe bet and cheap enough, if a little overpowered.

I'll try to pricelist this tomorrow, but you should get a good taste for what it might cost by buying the case from Amazon, the computer innards from Mindfactory and the speakers/monitors from either thomann or Amazon.

If I weren't so busy (and in Cork) right now I'd build it myself, but...

Adding a second monitor could either be delayed OR (personal fave if you have a spare tablet/iPad) you can use a tablet/iPad as a screen. Utilise all your devices.
    My iPad serves as a JazzMutant Lemur & TouchAble control surface, Launchpad, a few synths & a second screen, I have an old iPod touch also being used for a control surface, my current android phone as a control surface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

grindle wrote: »

Adding a second monitor could either be delayed OR (personal fave if you have a spare tablet/iPad) you can use a tablet/iPad as a screen. Utilise all your devices.
    My iPad serves as a JazzMutant Lemur & TouchAble control surface, Launchpad, a few synths & a second screen, I have an old iPod touch also being used for a control surface, my current android phone as a control surface

Any way to use an old 10" android tab as a 2nd display?

@OP Building is simple and its something you should really try. Everything has its place within a PC case and most are so obvious that a child could fit them.
    Electronics hate static so purchase an anti static wristband and handle the parts by their edges where possible and you will be fine. Installing Windows and configuring software will be harder, but boards would help out when you get to that stage.

M.

The partpicker link I posted should lead you to mindfactory.de for most of the parts, anything else I can link straight from mindfactory or amazon.

That's the general gist of it, install the CPU and RAM into the board, then the board and PSU into the case, there's then two cables from the PSU to the motherboard, one to the GPU and one to each hard drive. Connect the hard drives to the motherboard and wham bam alakazam you've built yourself a PC.

In your case you'll have to plug the soundcard in underneath the GPU too but it doesn't overcomplicate anything :pac:

The motherboard and case manual will have all the info you need for the different screws etc, youtube will help you connect things but its really a matter of finding the cable that says CPU and plugging it into the slot that says CPU... etc..

Cable management can help with temperatures and aesthetics but isn't necessary for a build like this as you won't be heating it way up anyways, and even it is pushing a cable through the holes in the case and pulling it out the nearest hole to its slot, it can just be a bit time consuming

corsav6 wrote: »
    Any way to use an old 10" android tab as a 2nd display?

Splashtop. Tried it (along with many other options) for the iPad but Duet Display won out. Would work fine as long as you can deal with a bit of visual lag.

There are tons of "second screen" apps, you should try them all and get a feel for what you're comfortable with, it's what I did. But I knew that with a cabled connection + the iPad's better midi latency (at the time) that that was the better option for me.

In your case you'll have to plug the soundcard in underneath the GPU too but it doesn't overcomplicate anything :pac:

It'll be USB.

grindle wrote: »
    I had this reply saved from the last thread you posted (been busy -currently in the middle of Xmas ordering in my world!):

No need to upgrade your soundcard, you could buy something like the Midisport 2x2 or 4x4 and save the hassle and some cash. Unless you'd prefer to have everything in one box.

Easily the most important thing in this build is the speakers. Good studio monitors aren't cheap, but with your budget Yamaha's HS5s are a classic option (not great for anything with much low-end but otherwise they're a studio mainstay) and Tannoy Reveal 502s or 802s are a good bang for buck option.

The suggested build above is missing a couple of storage drives at least unless you like audio drop-outs while recording, or flattening to limit the amount of tracks + effects playing.

There should be one for OS+DAW+VSTs (SSD preferred), one for sound libraries (SSD preferred - loading hundreds samples from multiple libraries to RAM can be slow), one for recording to (7200rpm HDD would be fine for this) and at least one large backup drive for all those other drives (any speed HDD is fine for this) - if you don't get at least one backup drive you'll learn in time why you should've! (Edited due to new thread: you could add the two extra drives later. Having all four at once is only a prerequisite if you're taking this very seriously and time or money depend on it)

Fractal Design Define S is a nice quiet case for not too much money. You'll also want a quiet PSU. Passive PSUs are expensive, but beQuiet's 400w Straight Power 10 is a safe bet and cheap enough, if a little overpowered.

I'll try to pricelist this tomorrow, but you should get a good taste for what it might cost by buying the case from Amazon, the computer innards from Mindfactory and the speakers/monitors from either thomann or Amazon.

If I weren't so busy (and in Cork) right now I'd build it myself, but...

This is invaluable info. Thanks so much for the breakdown of what's needed. Appreciate it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Most newer graphics cards can run more than two monitors,,, If you are just editing audio, then run of the mill 1080p monitors would be fine.
    If money was tight, two 30" secondhand 720p TV's might do,, if it is only sound you want to work with.

I can see why you need your system to be quiet,, so it will help to look at the following cases
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZLKzqcUtM

OR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPhd6guJKI

Capture can be done on a sound card , even a mid range sound card..

Sam lives in Portlaoise, not too far from you, and would build a system at no charge, just drop your parts over.. Find Him Below

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig/videos

His contact is there somewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That advice doesn't really make sense, editing audio is a visual interface in the same way video is, so saying that 720p is grand for 'just sound' is totally illogical. The higher the resolution the better, I would aim for 1440p at 27" or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

That advice doesn't really make sense, editing audio is a visual interface in the same way video is, so saying that 720p is grand for 'just sound' is totally illogical. The higher the resolution the better, I would aim for 1440p at 27" or so.

720p is grand if money is tight,, that is what I said..

When editing a timeline is just that "a timeline" it makes no sense to go for 1440p if the guy is working on mostly audio ..

If money abounds,, then 4k is even better..

Advertisement