Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrongful speeding fine?

Options
  • 07-07-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Okay before I start I will say if I didn't speed I wouldn't be in trouble, I totally agree with that, and would never argue on any other occasion. I'm gonna go ahead and ask my silly question anyway.

On Saturday driving from killiney to Leeson street I was in the slow lane about to pass stillorgan, this occurred at the usual speed can spot around the bend. I was doing now 55 with four in my car where the speed limit is 60. I came to the corner on the inside lane with a minivan on my right matching my speed and planning to take the next right turn at he set of lights I assume. On my inside was another car that had went into the bus lane early to turn left into stillorgan up the little side road. An ambulance came up behind me and gestures me out of the way accompanied by lights and noises. I didn't want to speed up to get out of the way because I was afraId there was a speed can there, the car to my right and left never moved and the ambulance was on my back number so I sped up to like 69/71kph went into the fast lane and as I was sowing at like 70kph I come around the apex of the corner after the ambulance had sped off and see a speed van, at the time I just sighed and looked around and it seemed all of the cars around me were doing the same speed so I'm wondering if I'm in trouble and if so do I have any leg to stand on as I wouldn't have sped up only to move out of the way of a flashing and sirening ambulance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Okay before I start I will say if I didn't speed I wouldn't be in trouble, I totally agree with that, and would never argue on any other occasion. I'm gonna go ahead and ask my silly question anyway.

On Saturday driving from killiney to Leeson street I was in the slow lane about to pass stillorgan, this occurred at the usual speed can spot around the bend. I was doing now 55 with four in my car where the speed limit is 60. I came to the corner on the inside lane with a minivan on my right matching my speed and planning to take the next right turn at he set of lights I assume. On my inside was another car that had went into the bus lane early to turn left into stillorgan up the little side road. An ambulance came up behind me and gestures me out of the way accompanied by lights and noises. I didn't want to speed up to get out of the way because I was afraId there was a speed can there, the car to my right and left never moved and the ambulance was on my back number so I sped up to like 69/71kph went into the fast lane and as I was sowing at like 70kph I come around the apex of the corner after the ambulance had sped off and see a speed van, at the time I just sighed and looked around and it seemed all of the cars around me were doing the same speed so I'm wondering if I'm in trouble and if so do I have any leg to stand on as I wouldn't have sped up only to move out of the way of a flashing and sirening ambulance

If you get a fine you can appeal to the fixed charge processing office. There is a form you fill out requesting cancellation. I'd imagine your story would be easily verifiable given that the reg plate of the ambulance would have been captured by the gosafe van a few moments before your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Slow lane? Fast lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AMightyPanda

endacl wrote: »
    Slow lane? Fast lane?

Moving from slow to fast then back to to slow whilst slowing down couldn't tell you which I was in when the picture was taken as I was focusing on cars around me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you didn't even get the fine yet? too soon to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Moving from slow to fast then back to to slow whilst slowing down couldn't tell you which I was in when the picture was taken as I was focusing on cars around me

Poster means there is no such thing as a slow lane or fast lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope, what the poster is getting at is that technically(pedantically) there are no such things as a slow or fast lane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

endacl wrote: »
    Slow lane? Fast lane?

There's no such thing as a fast or a slow lane. That's the point.

Anyway the circumstances of your speeding is irrelevant if you get caught which you won't know about for 10 days or so. No big deal anyway.

The go safe vans don't flash* when they nab you.

(*They flash in invisible infrared)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

An ambulance came up behind me and gestures me out of the way accompanied by lights and noises.

Going by your statement and this section from rules of the road:
    Break a red light or speed to allow emergency service vehicles to pass you unless you’re directed to do so by the Gardaí or emergency service personnel.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

I would be quietly confident you were in the right if anything comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If you get a fine I would certainly be appealing it. What have you got to lose. Person in the office might be in good humour and cancel the notice for you.

you didn't even get the fine yet? too soon to worry

I'm not worried I mean if it happens it happens the rules are don't speed and I broke em, I'm in acceptance there nothing I can do but I'm wondering if you's would think that I would have a good chance of appealing it by explaining it :)

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    If you get a fine I would certainly be appealing it. What have you got to lose. Person in the office might be in good humour and cancel the notice for you.

Yeah but I'm fairly certain if you appeal it you get more points and a larger fine no? If not I've been misinformed! I've not got a record or previous history of being bold so I'm hoping I can keep this off the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

F1ngers wrote: »

The ambulance didn't direct the OP to exceed the speed limit.

corglass wrote: »

Anyway the circumstances of your speeding is irrelevant if you get caught which you won't know about for 10 days or so. No big deal anyway.

corglass wrote: »

(*They flash in invisible infrared)

I'm not trying to be rude here but please don't try and be smart by picking out finicky things. I'm looking for actual advice.

1) I say slow lane fast lane rather than inside and outside lane as I lived in the states for a while until December. Just force of habit really, also surely the outside lane is the fast lane as the outside lane is designed for the traffic which is moving faster than that of the inside lane?

2) I never said flash? I realise they don't they only flash at night assuming that it's too dark to see your reg, most of the time they still don't. They're done by laser so even if you were speeding 500m away and slowed down they'd still catch you as the camera and speed measurement function are different.

Del2005 wrote: »

Surely he did by gesturing me out of the way when he could see I was not in a position to move either left or right safely without speeding up? That's my point here is I wouldn't have done what I did had the circumstance which occurred not taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

1) I say slow lane fast lane rather than inside and outside lane as I lived in the states for a while until December. Just force of habit really, also surely the outside lane is the fast lane as the outside lane is designed for the traffic which is moving faster than that of the inside lane?

2) I never said flash? I realise they don't they only flash at night assuming that it's too dark to see your reg, most of the time they still don't. They're done by laser so even if you were speeding 500m away and slowed down they'd still catch you as the camera and speed measurement function are different.

It's actually driving land and overtaking lane. People not understanding this is a big contributing factor to congestion on multi carriage way roads in Ireland. It's the exact same in the states only they call the right hand lane the passing lane.

An infrared flash is fired for every car that goes past a gosafe van regardless of speed. For the most part it is invisible to the human eye but some sensitive eyes may be able to see a dull red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Surely he did by gesturing me out of the way when he could see I was not in a position to move either left or right safely without speeding up? That's my point here is I wouldn't have done what I did had the circumstance which occurred not taken place.

Missed that bit in the OP. Only problem is that to fight it you'll need to go to court and hope that the driver remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah but I'm fairly certain if you appeal it you get more points and a larger fine no? If not I've been misinformed! I've not got a record or previous history of being bold so I'm hoping I can keep this off the cards!

Only if you don't pay and it goes to court. The fixed charge processing office can only say no to your appeal at this stage.

Even if it went to court I'd fancy your chances if the judge believes you or if you can prove there was an ambulance in the area at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

F1ngers wrote: »

Another problem with the rules of the road and the RSAs "interpretation" of them.

The actual laws (remember the Rules of the Road is not a legal source) only allow for the Gardaí and no other members of the emergency services to give direction which can override the road regulations.

That said there is this:-
    Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

Though I'm not sure if an ambulance flashing would be considered "an emergency situation", whilst an ambulance may be going to an emergency, I doubt the ambulance itself is considered an emergency situation. However I reckon it is a very good defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Del2005 wrote: »

I'm curious as to how you would propose for an emergency vehicle or personnel in any capacity to tell a moving car to speed up or slow down :confused:

I'm surprised the ambulance didn't enter the bus lane, its always empty on the N11, or why they didn't take position in lane 2 given the options it provides you at junctions. Strange behavior from the ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

In your situation OP, I'd seek legal advise immediately, see what your options would be should the fine come to the post, then you can decide if you'd rather pay for it and take 3 points or risk more going to the court.

Your insurance would most likely cover the cost of legal counsel should it come to that, most of them offer 'coverage for legal counsel in relation to the use of the vehicle', I've never used it myself though, might wanna clarify with your insurer if it would fall under this and, if so, if it counts as a claim against the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just to continue the pedantry they're not slow lanes and fast lanes in the states either, the highways work the same way as here and calling it slow and fast lanes is also wrong in the US. The outside lane is an overtaking lane, it's not a fast lane in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Stop whinging OP. It's 80 quid and 3 points and neither will impact you in the slightest. Next time make sure you don't get boxed in anywhere and the lesson will have been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Stop whinging OP. It's 80 quid and 3 points and neither will impact you in the slightest. Next time make sure you don't get boxed in anywhere and the lesson will have been worth it.

:confused:

Not sure if you are familiar with the road in question but its very easy to get boxed in there, quite literally in fact. You start wide at Brewery Rd (Going into town) but it becomes narrow at the right bend to the point that if you have a bus to your left and a car to you right, there ain't much between you.

The Gardai and GoSafe also live on that road, so I can see the OP between a rock and a hard place here. The ambulance should have followed proper protocol and past the OP on this right, as is normal. They had no reason to be up his bumper given the right lane and bus lane open to them.

Advertisement