Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIPA buffer for PCR

• 07-07-2016 2:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Using a RIPA buffer as I will be doing westerns and ELISAs but may want to do PCR with some of the samples.

Wondering are there any interfering products in RIPA that would inhibit a PCR? or will it be fine, maybe dilute it a good bit before running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I know little about using RIPA. I know a lot about PCR though. Can you tell me what's in the buffer? If it's the same as what's described on wikipedia, there's a good chance the PCR will be inhibited. The detergents in there are known PCR inhibitors. The question is - how much inhibition. Are you doing quantitative PCR?

You could test the level of inhibition by spiking a blank extract with purified DNA - I would try this first. I assume you're not doing an RT step? RT is very sensitive to inhibitors.

Two scenarios...
    The level of inhibition is low - do nothing - PCR your target directly from the extract.
    The level of inhibition may be high - dilute the sample in TE and then PCR. Do this if you have lots of DNA in your sample and you have a highly efficient PCR. Alternatively, extract/purify and concentrate the DNA from the RIPA extract and then PCR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks Josey, I was thinking of that. I might follow it up with a Phenol /Chloroform clean up after the fact, should get rid of any of the inhibitors.

My first thinking was the same as your second one, dilute in TE and go with it, hope the concentration of DNA is reasonably high and that I can dilute out the inhibitors.

Advertisement