Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install not working - Windows Vista

Options
  • 07-07-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have a HP laptop that I want to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I ran the test to make sure it's compatible with 7. I'm being told that first I must upgrade to Vista SP1 or SP2.

So I went into the updates available and SP1 was one of them. I clicked to install it. I got the pop up telling me to close all programs, that the update may take a few hours and might involve a number of reboots. So I click to start the install. Within 2 seconds I am getting a message saying the install was successful! Even though it isnt! Even after manually restarting the laptop is still on the old version of Vista. And when I go back into the update centre, SP1 is still listed as an available update!

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason why this is happening or is there any way to get around the problem? I've tried it a few times and the sam thing keeps happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

What are the specs?
    And how are you planning on upgrading? From disk or download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Firstly, I presume there is a reason you arent doing just a backup and then a fresh install of Win7 with a data restore? This would obviously be the easiest and cleanest way to complete the task.

Secondly, you dont need to install SP1 and then Sp2, you can just install SP2 as SP1 is not a prerequisite to install SP2.

Thirdly, it sounds like the update isnt downloading correctly or their is an issue with windows updates component, if i was you id try downloading standalone SP2 installer directly from here for 32bit or here for 64bit

If that continues to fail, id start looking at resolving issues with windows updates themselves...here would be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Thanks for the advice guys. It must have been an issue with the Windows Update Component. I tried downloading standalone SP2 installer and the upgrade worked.

Advertisement