Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating stone house

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is it possible to remove an interior wall in a stone house ? and would it be horrendously expensive ? Not sure if it's load bearing... it's your typical irish cottage with a hipped roof, a central room with 2 small rooms each side... we want to remove the wall between two small rooms to make it one big one. Any advise before we talk with an engineer ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

it is possible but would be expensive and difficult based on size/age/condition of building. I have never heard of it being done .The Old Old cottages pre 1930 would have very thick walls. The walls would be loadbearing to some extent especially if there is an upper story and a half end bedroom. I did something similar years ago for a client. We pulled off the roof in the end and raised the new wallplates / roof 2 courses of block. That allowed us to remove the chimney stack and 2 partision walls ....In effect giving us an extra small room(space wise) . One other note When old wood (Roof) gets wet it rapidly decays. Be mindful of this.Hope that helps just a bit and have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Aimee G wrote: »
    Is it possible to remove an interior wall in a stone house ? and would it be horrendously expensive ? Not sure if it's load bearing... it's your typical irish cottage with a hipped roof, a central room with 2 small rooms each side... we want to remove the wall between two small rooms to make it one big one. Any advise before we talk with an engineer ? Thanks.
    The answer is yes, at a cost.
    As noted earlier, you may have to "redo" the roof as my guess is the two walls support the high part of the roof just before the hips start.

From ur post if the two small rooms are at either end then are u considering making it all open plan by taking out two walls?

If so then bit the bullet and redo the roof, making it super well insulated and act like a nice wooly hat in winter!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement