Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating a stone house

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We bought a stone house 4 years ago and would like to knock an interior wall in order to make 2 rooms into 1. Is that possible and without horrendous expense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Define horrendous expense?

Having done something similar, I would say you won't see €20k going to get it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Depends on what the wall is holding up, its size and how it is tied into the exterior walls. Single storey? You will have to factor in adjustments to the attic and the roof. The wall may be an integral part of an exterior wall but you would usually only find that out at demolition.

You may have to include a new floor including all the insulation and damp proofing that will need. It is likely your floor is thin cement directly onto the subsoil if it is anything like mine.

IMO 20k is a bit high. I would guess less than 10k without major alterations to the roof. Also depends where you are and the availability of trades used to dealing with stone.

TT

Advertisement