Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance: SSD with DDR3 vs SATA with DDR4

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

HI guys,

I have to replace my prehistoric latitude d630 laptop from 2008, im trying to decide between a dell latitude or a lenovo thinkpad - They have same processor / spec etc.. except the following.

The Dell has a normal SATA 500GB with 8GB DDR4 memory

The Lenovo has a SSD 500GB with 8GB DDR3

Obviously the DDR4 has a faster clock speed, but the SSD has a better read/write

They both have i5 6th generation same clock speed, same graphics etc..

The dell one is 200 quid more for the spec i need. Dell said they no longer let you configure the models for this and suggest i buy their one, then buy a SSD and swap them out myself.

I will be using this mostly for visual studio development for web applications and just messing about on google etc..

Can anyone help me decide please, i know some of the guys on here are excellent with this sorta stuff or suggest another like for like model maybe?

here are the laptop profiles:

It wont let me post the links..

Thank you kindly,

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The SSD performance will be far far better than DDR4. Well, it will be far more noticeable. I would want the best spec possible, so I can see the draw of DDR4, but without an SSD I just wouldn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 driverl

Thank you alan that is very helpful. it is a noticeable performance im looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You will not be able to tell between DDR3 and DDR4. Performance difference between HDD and SSD - humongous.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

Definitely the SSD will have a bigger impact. I upgraded my SATA drive to SSD, and logon time went from +5 minutes to 22 seconds. Everything is so much faster since the SSD went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you sure it's a 500GB SSD and not an SSHD? Still an improvement on a normal hard drive but not as fast as an SSD.

In any case, if it's €200 more just for DDR4, forget it. You'd want to be doing serious crunching with your laptop around the clock to notice any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 driverl

Are you sure it's a 500GB SSD and not an SSHD? Still an improvement on a normal hard drive but not as fast as an SSD.

In any case, if it's €200 more just for DDR4, forget it. You'd want to be doing serious crunching with your laptop around the clock to notice any difference.

Good point, i just looked at it again and your right.
    it offers a choice of the following for the lenovo:

SSHD 500GB5400 8GB Cache

192GB Solid State Drive, SATA3

the SSD is 22 EUR more. so its a case of working out my storage requirements, thanks for the advise guys you have been great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I maintain a Y50 with one of those SSHDs, they're dire. Performance is all over the shop, a decent regular drive would be far better.

Advertisement