Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jumpstarting a Ford Mondeo 2004

Options
  • 07-07-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

So today i woke up and found that i had left my headlights open on my Ford Mondeo 2004 *facepalm*. Anyway i tried jumpstarting the car, and whenever i connect the cables the alarm goes off and if i put the key in the ignition and turn it on, i just hear a clicking noise. The car's alarm goes off as soon as i connect the cables and the hazard lights etc also went off. Im not sure how to turn the alarm off.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Did you press the unlock button on the key fob before you tried to start it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you connecting the cables from the donor car the right way?

Turn key to "on" to disable alarm and then connect like so:
    506037.image1.jpg

jumpstart.jpg

Leave it for 60 secs then try again to start your car.
    Donor car can be running or not.

If it starts leave it running, remove cables, and drive around for 10 mins or more. Actually drive, not just idling in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Thanks for the responses guys,

@shietpilot

No i dont think so, ill give that a go

@biko

Where do i connect the black cable on the dead car? I just connected it to the negative on the dead battery like i've done previously

Connect it to a piece of metal that is not painted anywhere on the engine block. You want to get a good ground.

The reason to connect it to metal on the dead car is that if there is a spark it won't be near the battery and possible BOOM :D
    With today's batts this isn't a major risk but it's good sense still.

I think the main issue is how to turn off the alarm. Because i did the jump start a few months back as well and it worked, so im not sure why the alarm is going off?

Also im thinking of buying one batter charger from Halfords.. any suggestions on which one to buy?

• Advertisement

If battery starts acting up then all kinds of weird things can happen.
    If alarm goes off with a full battery then there is a real issue, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Connect the leads to the battery on both cars if the alarm is going off lock and unlock the mondeo with the remote that should disable the alarm.
    Leave the leads on the doner car with the engine running for a few minutes and then when you go to start the mondeo give the doner a little rev.

Thanks, i'd give that a go.

Also will this do the trick? :

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/jump-leads/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

Thinking of getting this since i've left the car lights on more than a few times now, so maybe handy to have this in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Thinking of getting this since i've left the car lights on more than a few times now, so maybe handy to have this in the car.

I wouldnt like to be depending on it. Rule of thumb with booster packs is you get what you pay for.
    That mondeo should have a lights on buzzer when you open the door.

Advertisement