Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris or Polo?

Options
  • 07-07-2016 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm on the lookout for either a Yaris or Polo (for insurance reasons, they are at the low end and my premium is high). I originally had a 03 Fabia saloon (1.4 16v engine), which I sold last month. Too hungry on fuel and big for my needs. i just want a runabout.
    Budget is max. €1700

Anyway, looked at a 03 Yaris yesterday, inspected it thoroughly for a test drive, lovely matte black finish, teeny tiny dent on the boot. Nice to drive but a bit clunky on the gears (maybe that's just me!). They are looking for €1750 for it, but would go down to €1650. I think that's a bit too high, but they are firm. What do you guys think?

Any Yaris/Polo owners could help?

I know Yaris's are bulletproof, but having come from Skoda Fabia territory (which are Polos practically), the Polo seems like a great little car, plus they are slightly lower on insurance for me than the Yaris.
    I will be looking at more cars over the next few days anyway and not rushing into anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yaris all day long against a Polo. Polo's in general of the same era are normally poverty spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 borcork

Yaris all day long against a Polo. Polo's in general of the same era are normally poverty spec.

Poverty spec? Like pretty bare on the essentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, a lot of older polos don't have power steering or electric Windows. The newer model usually has, (the one with the round lights) but they're not a great car IMO.

Yariss aren't supposed to be Matt black, so this was likely a DIY job on the cheap to cover bad paintwork or damage.
    Keep looking.

On 99-03 Yariss, the gears will feel "clicky" for want of a better word. It shouldn't be difficult to get into gear, but there is a definite click as you go into gear.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of older polos don't have power steering or electric Windows. The newer model usually has, (the one with the round lights) but they're not a great car IMO.

Yariss aren't supposed to be Matt black, so this was likely a DIY job on the cheap to cover bad paintwork or damage.
    Keep looking.

On 99-03 Yariss, the gears will feel "clicky" for want of a better word. It shouldn't be difficult to get into gear, but there is a definite click as you go into gear.

Thanks for the advice. My sister had an older polo before and have a bit of trouble. Yaris sounds like the better car so. I'll leave that black Yaris alone as they are asking way too much imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Yep the Yaris will drive circles around the Polo any day of the week. The gears are pretty clunky alright and feel very direct. It feels strange at first but it gives very reassuring feedback and allows you to change gears pretty quickly.

Just make sure the Yaris was well serviced and that engine will run forever :) It also has a timing chain so no changes required unless the car was badly maintained.

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    Yep the Yaris will drive circles around the Polo any day of the week. The gears are pretty clunky alright and feel very direct. It feels strange at first but it gives very reassuring feedback and allows you to change gears pretty quickly.

Just make sure the Yaris was well serviced and that engine will run forever :) It also has a timing chain so no changes required unless the car was badly maintained.

Exactly, the gears were clicky. The one thing I liked about my skoda were the gears, very smooth to use.

Do all Yaris's have a timing chain?
    A few I've seen on done deal had a few dents in the bumper

3 or 5 door?

borcork wrote: »
    Exactly, the gears were clicky. The one thing I liked about my skoda were the gears, very smooth to use.

Do all Yaris's have a timing chain?
    A few I've seen on done deal had a few dents in the bumper

3 or 5 door?

Yeah all of them have it as far as I know but I can double check. Which engine were you looking at?

I had a 5 door but preferred the 3 door as it looks better. The 5 door is probably a bit more practical.

shietpilot wrote: »
    Yeah all of them have it as far as I know but I can double check. Which engine were you looking at?

I had a 5 door but preferred the 3 door as it looks better. The 5 door is probably a bit more practical.

It's the one litre model.
    The one I saw yesterday had a rubber belt but I think that's the alternator?

borcork wrote: »
    It's the one litre model.
    The one I saw yesterday had a rubber belt but I think that's the alternator?

Yeah the 1.0 has a timing chain. The alternator is driven by a belt. That's the engine that I have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....powers the alternator and the water pump. The timing chain that is usually referred to is internal to the engine and a mechanic would have to take off the top cover off the engine in order to have it visible, a big job.

This internal belt or chain powers the opening and closing of the engines valves and fitting it or replacing it is a very precise and tricky job.

Neglecting to change the timing belt on some engines can result in their sudden breakage and wreck an engine. Timing chains only need replacing if an engine is neglected or revved too hard on a regular basis. They should give no trouble on a carefully maintained and driven car.

• Advertisement

doolox wrote: »
    .....powers the alternator and the water pump. The timing chain that is usually referred to is internal to the engine and a mechanic would have to take off the top cover off the engine in order to have it visible, a big job.

This internal belt or chain powers the opening and closing of the engines valves and fitting it or replacing it is a very precise and tricky job.

Neglecting to change the timing belt on some engines can result in their sudden breakage and wreck an engine. Timing chains only need replacing if an engine is neglected or revved too hard on a regular basis. They should give no trouble on a carefully maintained and driven car.

I suppose as long as the Yaris is well serviced like oil changes too, I shouldn't go too far wrong with them.
    A few I've seen on done deal had dents in the bumper but I don't really mind. It's a good bargaining option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

I think the 1.3 is also a timing chain. I think all VVTi's were chain.

Haven't driven the 1.3, but it is meant to be livelier and maybe even a little cheaper as the 1.0 liters are most sought after for insurance costs. of course the tax will be also be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Fiesta 1.25 is also a pretty good car and worth a test drive at least.

gooner99 wrote: »

They are a decent car but suffer from rust issues I've heard.

gooner99 wrote: »

Fiestas are out of the question for me, insurance is too high on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What about a Seat Ibiza 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All the bad bits of a polo in a slightly more flakey package :)

Advertisement