Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is causing the hum?

• 06-07-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I'm lookng for a little assistance.

My CD player died a couple of weeks ago, so I've bought a replacement.

The set up is simple - CD player, amplifier and two speakers. When I raise the volume on the amplifier with CD selected as the source there's a hum, and it gets louder as I increase the volume. That's without a CD actually playing. (It's there in the background when I'm playing a CD as well.) I'm inclined to blame the CD player, because when I attach my Ipod to the AUX source and play that there are no extraneous noises.

I know there's an enormous amount of spaghetti in the vicinity - a TV, DVD player, Virgin box, Virgin modem and house phone, and I do understand that wires can interfere with one another. But this hum is only audible from the speakers when CD is the source.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Very difficult to diagnose this without actually seeing the installation -

First check the connection between Cd and Amp, use a different interconnect to make sure that your problem doesn't start there.

I assume that you didnt have the problem with the old CD player and have now got a different model ? there is the first possibility that the new player is not as well shielded as the last one you had, or that it's not grounded whereas the last one was and that its picking up mains hum.

Have you made a simultaneous changes to the wiring in the vicinity at the time of change-over ? If possible you should locate other gear away from your audio setup, re-reoute wiring etc, "rats nest" wiring (if you;ve got it) is far from ideal.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

It was indeed the interconnect. That's now changed and all is good.

Thanks,

N

Advertisement