Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam game not loadin

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

So after working through a few fixes as to where a steam purchase was not showing up in library. It is finally showing in the library.
    Now the issue is that it not loading the game, Double clicking, or right clicking brings up an info box for a split second, but not long enough to read the message.

I have managed to capture the message using the print screen function.
    Broken Sword 4 - the Angel of Death - Steam
    Preparing to launch Broken Sword 4 - the Angel of Death...

So guessing this is the normal message screen but no ideas why it won't launch correctly. Got a message asking for my permission to add family member permission to access my game, despite my laptop not being shared with anyone and using the same laptop/login etc. Only thing that might have changed would be my browser possibly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Windows firewall the issue?

Compatibility settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 d1sc0d3v1l

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? :D

That's an old game, you might need to try one of two things for the game to work:

First, locate the games .exe and run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (and other versions..).

Second, it's from 2007, so it probably uses Visual C++ libraries from 2005. Try installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (either x86 or x64, depending on your current system). Later versions are supposed to be backwards compatible, but there are edge cases where they aren't, if you have the old versions installed the game will use the version the most closely matches what it was made for.

Failing that, and it's actually a Steam issue, then you can 'reinstall' steam without removing your games. Close steam, go to your steam folder and delete everything except the steam.exe and the steamapps folder, then run steam again. It will redownload all of it's files and start up again. You'll have to re-login, and click to redownload games, when you click to redownload them it should find the existing copies in the steam apps folder and complete the download in a few seconds, (basically just re-index them).

glhf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sounds to me like you haven't even managed to install the game yet. If it wasn't showing in your steam library and now not installing, maybe it's the steam client acting up rather than the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

@valeyard I have tried wired connection to alleviate potential firewall issues, it didn't help resolve the issues.

@d1sc... Logging back in the next day after trying unsuccessful to play the game from the store got me as far as the game appearing in my library.

Running 64 bit windows 7, I have located the game .exe file and right clicked to bring me to the compatibility options. From what I could tell the only way to get it to try anything other than XP SP 2 compatibility is to informer the compatibility launcher it work prior with another version of windows. I tried everything from Windows XP, onwards, with/without various SP's.

I have visual C++ 2008 express edition installed already. Do I need to uninstall this to run an earlier version.?

• Advertisement

Integrity of all the files intact. That 2nd video was for the original broken sword, there was not a corresponding file to go with bs4.

I have visual C++ 2008 express edition installed already. Do I need to uninstall this to run an earlier version.?

Nope, you can install all of them at once, it's better that way for compatibility with older games. TBH though, it sounds like your Steam is acting up is it wasn't showing the game properly, if all else fails, I'd consider the last suggestion I made...

d1sc0d3v1l wrote: »
    Nope, you can install all of them at once, it's better that way for compatibility with older games. TBH though, it sounds like your Steam is acting up is it wasn't showing the game properly, if all else fails, I'd consider the last suggestion I made...

Initially it was reported as being in the library... but wasn't displayed.
    One more thing has occurred to me could there be an issue with the download path or something.

Tried x64 installation and x86 installation but am encountering the same issue when running both

I receive the following message File was downloaded from microsoft website.
    This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package

One more thing has occurred to me could there be an issue with the download path or something.

Not likely. Though that said, you should try launching the game directly using from it's .exe, run as administrator, and try different compatibility settings if you haven't already.
    Tried x64 installation and x86 installation but am encountering the same issue when running both .

What's your Windows version (7, 8, 10)?

I'd suggest going down the Steam repair route. I can't post hyperlinks on boards, but try googling "delete steam but keep games", should be a result for stackexchange that outlines what I've described already.

Not likely. Though that said, you should try launching the game directly using from it's .exe, run as administrator, and try different compatibility settings if you haven't already.

What's your Windows version (7, 8, 10)?

I'd suggest going down the Steam repair route. I can't post hyperlinks on boards, but try googling "delete steam but keep games", should be a result for stackexchange that outlines what I've described already.

Windows 7 64 bit.

This now appear to be an issue with directx. Receiving the following error message.
    the program can start because d3dx9_20 dll is missing...

Suggested fixes online are to install Directx end-user runtime from the web installer from Microsoft. Issue now is they don't seem to support it any more. The only thing I seem to be offered is the option to download Windows 10.

• Advertisement

The only thing I seem to be offered is the option to download Windows 10.

lol, those feckers! :D

Are you sure? First hit after searching "directx9" gives me a link to the download.

Try this:

Go to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Find the game in question, or any game for that matter, and look for a directx folder, run DXSETUP.exe. Should install missing files.

Try this:

Go to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Find the game in question, or any game for that matter, and look for a directx folder, run DXSETUP.exe. Should install missing files.

It wasn't there but I extracted the download of to that location, I am still receiving the same error is the that the full path or should be be within each individual game folder eg C:\Program Files (x86)..../common/broken sword 4

It depends on the game, all I'm saying is that a lot of games will have all the old DirectX dll's, along with an installer, in the games installation folder.

Games are usually kept at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common, unless you installed Steam somewhere other than the default.

Steam will not mess up a path. That will only happen if you move something.

If you can't get it to work then why not just return it, you can return games on Steam these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use this to delete all the instances of DX and reinstall from fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

I was having an issue with AVG Antivirus blocking some of my steam games from running. Added an exception in the options menu and everything has been running great. Might be worth checking yours. There's usually an option to temporary disable your anti-virus software from running, which would be a quick check to see if it's causing your problem.

You get sorted?

No still not working. Grateful for all the help so far. Attempted d!sc...'s suggestion now steam is not launching at all.
    I have been a little busy with prepping for interview to do the work into getting trying to get my head around it.

Pizzle wrote: »
    I was having an issue with AVG Antivirus blocking some of my steam games from running. Added an exception in the options menu and everything has been running great. Might be worth checking yours. There's usually an option to temporary disable your anti-virus software from running, which would be a quick check to see if it's causing your problem.

I do have AVG installed maybe this was the issue. Will try to get back to where I was before, when the game was actually finally showing in the library.

Advertisement