Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice sought- minor RTA

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

(Also posted in legal discussion)

So a couple of weeks ago I was involved in a low speed rear end type accident, I was stationary in traffic and the car behind impacted with my rear bumper. I heard and felt the impact.
    So I pulled my car in onto the kerb as I was conscious of holding up main street traffic any further and the car that hit me also pulled over slightly. The lady who was driving approached my window and asked if she had hit me, I replied yes she had, she said 'oh I was'nt sure because my brakes are quite loud so I thought the noise was my brakes', I politely replied that there was an impact and I both heard and felt it. I started to get the feeling this wasnt going to be straight forward. She said 'well your car is fine', I said ' that sounds good but I'll take your name and number and get it checked just to be sure'. I'm still sitting in my car at this stage and this woman has her head practically stuck in my open window. She said 'no Im not giving you my name your car is fine'. I was feeling like she almost did'nt want me to get out of my car because she was'nt backing up from my window, so I began to open the car door and thought well I need to look at my car. As I got out the woman made her way back to her car and began getting into the driver seat, luckily I had taken my phone in my hand and managed to get a photo of her reg plate and discs in the windscreen literally nanoseconds before she took off.
    The street was busy but I was so taken aback I didnt think to ask for witness details. I was stunned that she had such a bad attitude and took off from the scene.
    So I looked at my own car and saw what I would describe as minimal paint damage. I suppose I'm lucky to have a strong heavy car that absorbed the impact well. (I had it checked at a garage a few days later and it was confirmed that there was no structural damage thankfully).
    I checked the photos I took and then realised that all the discs displayed in the other car's windscreen had expired a few months ago.
    So off I went to the Garda Station to report the incident. Unfortunately the Garda was less than helpful but did take down the information and that was more or less the extent of it.
    I started to feel sore that evening, but the back story here is that I am still receiving intermittent treatment for a serious injury sustained 2 years ago in which I had multiple fractured vertebrae. During that time I developed some other muscle/tendon problems which seem to stem from the accident coupled with the affects of the type of work I do. Since this rear end jolt Ive had neck stiffness which is not something I have experienced as part of my original injury. I also have an ache down my arm on the same side as the neck strain. So I guess I'm curious if I am entitled to make a personal injuries claim, considering my unfortunate past medical history.
    Also bearing in mind that the other driver may not even have valid insurance (I have reported the matter to my own insurers and the MIBI- but am yet to receive advice)
    So I'm wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation and has any advice to offer.
    Apologies for the long post- I wanted to try include as much background info as possible
    Thanks guys

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement