Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EFibre: Internet speed equal if not worse than before upgrade

Options
  • 06-07-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Last week I finally got upgraded to Eir efibre. The guy came out hooked us up and installed the new modem. Excited, I immediately checked the speeds. I got 6Mb/sec download and 0.95 Mb/sec upload. This is just about equivalent to the average speeds I got before I upgraded, sometimes I used to get even higher speeds if traffic was lower.

I got in contact with web chat where they assured me that this was normal and that it takes the line 3-5 days to "settle". I immediately thought this was bullsh!t but said I would give it a chance.

A week has now passed and still no improvement. So I got in contact with web chat again where they were very apologetic and they then told me that they have changed the line to a much more stable line with a fast connection. When I got home from work I checked the speed and absolutely nothing has changed. Why am I paying more for a worse service?

Has anyone else experienced this when they were first connected and did it ever improve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check here:
    business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Thanks for that link. Here are the results:

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

LLU Enabled: No

I assume it means 12 Megabits rather than Megabytes?

I don't understand why fibre is just as slow as regular broadband and why am I paying more for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VDSL(eFibre): Short distance high speed
    ADSL(Regular): Long distance low speed

You're in the position where the graph lines cross, 100M closer to the exchange and VDSL would be faster, 100M further and ADSL would be faster.

If 12_1 isnt viable for you then moving back to ADSL for a 10_1 profile is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

ED E wrote: »
    VDSL(eFibre): Short distance high speed
    ADSL(Regular): Long distance low speed

You're in the position where the graph lines cross, 100M closer to the exchange and VDSL would be faster, 100M further and ADSL would be faster.

If 12_1 isnt viable for you then moving back to ADSL for a 10_1 profile is the best option.

Are you serious? So I am now paying €20 extra a month for the same old ****ty internet? That is a disgrace. Especially after waiting all this time for fibre internet.

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Advertisement