Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What parts would you recommend most for building a gaming PC?

Options
  • 06-07-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I have an idea how to build a PC. I was just wondering what parts in your experience are the best. I'm not too sure what wattage PSU and motherboard to get either. It's been a few years since I last looked up specs.

If someone could post a list of parts that are decent, that'd be great. If possible to have a build that is relatively future proof,cheap and looks good. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

In general:
    CPU: Intel i3/i5 for gaming. i7 / Xeon for productivity.
    AMD only for ultra-budget builds.

Nvidia slightly edge out AMD for graphics cards.
    Quality 430-500W PSU is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianol1989

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

In general:
    CPU: Intel i3/i5 for gaming. i7 / Xeon for productivity.
    AMD only for ultra-budget builds.

Nvidia slightly edge out AMD for graphics cards.
    Quality 430-500W PSU is more than enough.

Budget of around 6 - 700 for a gaming PC.
    Need all new parts, have no old parts, peripherals or monitor. Doing this for a relative, could he use a lcd flat screen with the gaming PC. Are monitors important for gaming? I don't know much about that, what would you recommend?

Not willing to overclock but I'm willing to put windows on the PC . Can pay for it by visa debit and bank transfer and I live in suburban cork. Don't need this immediately, possibly a few months but it would be nice to have a plan and idea of what I'm purchasing and doing beforehand.

I thought that Amd processors could equal the ones from Intel, I guess that's if you only buy a more expensive one.

About the gaming, is for high end graphic processing. Crysis used to be the top model to aim for, not sure what that it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

AMDs top end consumer CPU is worse than Intel's entry level ones.

i5 6400 €170
    Any B150 motherboard €70
    8gb DDR4 RAM €40
    128gb SSD €80 (Samsung Evos are good)
    1tb HDD €40 (WD Blue or Red)
    500w Evga, BeQuiet, Seasonic PSU €60
    Cases €50

€200 left for the GPU, probably an Rx470, when is the pricing for them released?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianol1989

AMDs top end consumer CPU is worse than Intel's entry level ones.

i5 6400 €170
    Any B150 motherboard €70
    8gb DDR4 RAM €40
    128gb SSD €80 (Samsung Evos are good)
    1tb HDD €40 (WD Blue or Red)
    500w Evga, BeQuiet, Seasonic PSU €60
    Cases €50

€200 left for the GPU, probably an Rx470, when is the pricing for them released?

Thanks a lot. That seems like a solid build. What did you mean by when is the pricing for them released?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its an unreleased card that we have no official pricing for yet, estimated to be €200 on the dot or abouts

• Advertisement
Advertisement