Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus Scholarship

Options
  • 05-07-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Does anyone know what the lowest points you can achieve to receive this scholarship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Heyzelx wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the lowest points you can achieve to receive this scholarship?

In theory, because there must be at least two recipients from each county, there is no minimum. I think I remember reading on a previous boards thread of someone getting it with 520 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Has anyone an idea of what the points would be like in Galway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK, points are only one factor. I know of at least one student got it on less than 500 points, but had some other real difficulties to contend with. Each case is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK, points are only one factor. I know of at least one student got it on less than 500 points, but had some other real difficulties to contend with. Each case is different.

Tbh, I'm not sure that's correct, Spurious. The DOE regulations make reference only to candidates being selected based on their performance in their best five subjects. It's conceivable, I guess, that the person you are aware of scored poorly in their sixth subject (bringing down their overall score), possibly in conjunction with having sat the leaving in a county with a small population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well, this was about, (calculates in head) maybe 6 or 7 years ago? Time flies when you start actually working out how many years have passed since past pupils left. From what I recall, the person in question had 490 points. It was in Dublin, though, so it wouldn't have been a small population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Say somebody got enough points and qualified for both a college-specific scholarship and the JP scholarship, which one would they be granted?

Advertisement