Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Help limited PSU

Options
  • 05-07-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

My brother is trying to upgrade the family PC so he can play as many games as possible as it is fairly limited at the moment.

The current specs are:

AMD Phenom 1035T
    4GB of RAM
    nVidia geforce 315
    Delta Electronics 80 Plus Bronze 300W PSU

He is hoping to spend about or less than €100 for a new card or €50 for something second hand. The only slot on the motherboard for a graphics card is the one that the current card is in, I'm not sure what type of connection that is. I could post pictures if that helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bump to 8GB of ram and get a GTX750 or GTX750ti, whatever you can find second hand, would be a titanic boost, would be able to play all the latest games at an OK level.

Of course depends on the games, if it's just Minecraft and Counter Strike you would get away with just a cheap 2nd hard card for €50 like a HD7770.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I should have mentioned that the monitor he is using is 1080p but only has VGA, so I need to find a card with a VGA port.

He is looking for more modern games than those, he already plays Minecraft and counterstrike fine, he has been looking at things like rocket league, fallout 4, civ 6, skyrim, he says he doesn't care about graphics he just wants to play the games so if he could get to a point where he could play every game on ultra low settings at 30fps that would be ideal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GarIT wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that the monitor he is using is 1080p but only has VGA, so I need to find a card with a VGA port.

He is looking for more modern games than those, he already plays Minecraft and counterstrike fine, he has been looking at things like rocket league, fallout 4, civ 6, skyrim, he says he doesn't care about graphics he just wants to play the games so if he could get to a point where he could play every game on ultra low settings at 30fps that would be ideal.

VGA ports are kinda rare on most mid range - high end cards. Most cards will come with a DVI port though. You can get a DVI to VGA adapter that will make them work with his monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

VGA ports are kinda rare on most mid range - high end cards. Most cards will come with a DVI port though. You can get a DVI to VGA adapter that will make them work with his monitor.

Plenty of GTX 750ti have VGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

GPU Help limited PSU
    you have a 300 W PSU

Current power draw
    Idle power 80 W
    Load power: 215 W
    Recommended power supply: 280 W

When you pick a new potential GPU Plug your data into this website
    to make sure your PSU can take it.
    http://powersupplycalculator.net/
    there are other PSU calculators as well might be worth double checking if close to the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GarIT wrote: »

GTX750 or 750Ti is the best bet then. Also, you'll need to go to 8GB ram ideally as well. Processor is also on the weaker side, but all in all you should get by for a while with the card and ram upgrade and most of those titles you've mentioned will run at 1080p high settings.

Fallout 4 will be more sensitive as it's CPU heavy and that processor is old, but it'll still run well enough at 1080p medium or so, broadly similar to how it looks and runs on the PS4 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks everyone, I'll look into those suggestions over the next few days

Advertisement