Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Mifi

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the 3 mobile prepay mifi's are unlocked?

I want to put a 3 UK sim in to use it in Spain.

Strange you can roam in so many countries on 3 UK when it the same company.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

ei9go wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 3 mobile prepay mifi's are unlocked?

I want to put a 3 UK sim in to use it in Spain.

Strange you can roam in so many countries on 3 UK when it the same company.

Thanks

no its not im sorry to say.

u can get them to unlock it i think if u have spent over a certain amount of credit with them but im not 100% sure of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP, you need to double check this but if you can pick up a new 3 MiFi device from the UK they are supposed to be unlocked. Three UK have been doing this afaik for the last couple of years. All three IRL sims mobile broadband devices are locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

Picked up a 3 UK sim card but have not tried.

Lady in the shop told me all their mifi's are unlocked.

10 Pounds gives you 1 gb or 30 days or you can get a 3 gb sim for 16 pounds.

I'll try another sim in my mifi and see if it's unlocked when I get home.

Don't want to try the UK one in case it activates the 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

The Three UK data SIM indeed starts the 30 day count down the moment it connects to the network. I had one for when I visited the USA.

There are a few things to note when using data with a Three UK data SIM:

Regardless of which partner network it roams on, the device will get a UK IP address. For example, if you plan accessing any Spanish geolocked content, it will not work with the UK SIM as it'll see you with a UK IP address.

When I was using the Three UK data SIM, HTTPS traffic was heavily throttled, even in Ireland. For example, I could not watch anything on YouTube as it persistently kept buffering even with the lowest resolution, yet the speed tests were showing 10+Mbps. TestMy didn't have a HTTPS test at time, so couldn't see what the throttled rate was. That was October 2015, so I'm not sure if they are still throttling such traffic now.

If you intend getting a Three UK phone SIM:

Unlike the Irish network, a Three UK prepay phone SIM will not work in a dongle, router or tablet. Mobile hotspot/tethering does not work either. It will display a webpage mentioning this usage is not allowed and they disable data access until the phone is switched off for a few minutes. I think this also the main reason the UK offers more 'Feel at home' countries as all their data SIM packages are tiny compared to the Irish network.

Advertisement