Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranking question

Options
  • 05-07-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have survey data that I need to analyse. Respondents have ranked the impact of something on a scale from 1-5 (1= mild, 5= v. severe etc) I am classifying means from 1-2 as mild, 2-3 moderate, 3-4 severe and 5 as v. severe but obviously due to the design of the survey a mean score of 5 isnt possible, so the result gets dragged down; eg for one of the cases half of the respondents selected 5, but the mean will only regard this effect as severe at most. Should I weight those who select 5, or should I have more flexible cut off points, e.g a mean of below 4.5=severe and above this= v.severe? I hope this is the right section for this question and that I havent made the question needlessly complicated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ideally, each label would only have one number associated with it, have you let them answer with decimal numbers (as in 3.8), or only choose 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5?
    Why not have 1 = v mild, 2 = mild, 3 = moderate, 4 = severe and 5 = v. severe?
    You're going to tie yourself in knots having 4 categories but 5 answers.

If they could give a decimal answer (i.e from 1.0 to 5.0) then you could assign different categories / buckets to different ranges, eg:
    1-1.5 v. mild
    1.6-2.5 mild
    2.6-3.5 moderate
    3.6-4.5 severe
    4.6-5.0 v. severe

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭puffin24

Thanks for your suggestion. The respondents did answer in whole numbers but I would like to report the mean; e.g. 4.5 for property value impacts etc. I have decided to include the standard deviation because that will give an indication of the range, to show that some did answer 5 for some of the impacts.

Advertisement