Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Registration as Commerical or Residential

Options
  • 05-07-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Can anyone help, please!

I am putting in an offer on a property that is currently half a youth hostel half residential property. I am dealing with the local County Council to see if they pay rates, but so far it looks like they do not. I have been onto the Planning Dept - but both planning reference numbers are old and therefore the files are archived. We are filling in an exemption form at present to convert it back from residential to commercial (as we assume it is commercial) but that takes three weeks to hear back.

There is a lot of people interested in this property and don't have time to wait the three week period but don't want to move forward with the offer if we can only live in half the property.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Are you an experienced property investor buying this property to rent or do-up/flip?
    • If so it's caveat emptor and take the rough with the smooth.
    • If not and you are making one of the biggest purchases of your life then you walk away if the paperwork isn't completely in order. It's tough but your head has to rule you heart otherwise you could get badly stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AONeill7

I am a mum with young children and looking to purchase it as a family home. The front of the property is an old 1850's stone cottage divided into two, half where the current owner lives and the other half is for the hostel. On the back of the cottage is an extension that again is divided 60% for the hostel and 40% for the owners use.

I can put in an exemption to transfer it to residential if that is what is needed and because it is half residential already, but I am chasing Co.Co to get answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There's no problem following things through - but don't purchase unless all the paperwork is perfectly in order. If someone else buys it then so be it - due diligence is more important.

Also - I have never met an estate agent who said "There's not much interest - take your time" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

AONeill7 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone help, please!

I am putting in an offer on a property that is currently half a youth hostel half residential property. I am dealing with the local County Council to see if they pay rates, but so far it looks like they do not. I have been onto the Planning Dept - but both planning reference numbers are old and therefore the files are archived. We are filling in an exemption form at present to convert it back from residential to commercial (as we assume it is commercial) but that takes three weeks to hear back.

There is a lot of people interested in this property and don't have time to wait the three week period but don't want to move forward with the offer if we can only live in half the property.

Thanks in advance

Is the above correct?

In addition, your second post describing out makes it look like it could be a world of hurt: 1850's cottage, mum with young children.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement