Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I learn to drive a manual on an automatic license?

Options
  • 05-07-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is ok to get supervised lessons in a manual car with a full license with an automatic endorsement? Or do I also need to have a provisional license as well?

I have recently returned from New Zealand where I did my test. I have a full license from there but can only exchange it for an automatic one here. It's a little bit frustrating as I could drive manuals on my NZ license.

Do I have to go through the whole process again or is there a quick way of going from auto to manual?

Do I have to do the 12 lessons with a registered instructor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need a learner permit. Your automatic licence has no bearing or relation to a manual car in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What year did you pass your test in NZ? If it was after 1999, the licencing authority will be able to confirm this to the NDLS and you will be able to exchange for a manual licence (assuming it was a manual test). If it was prior to 1999, you're boned.

If you end up with the automatic restriction on your Irish licence, you will have to go through the full formal process although you won't have to wait 6 months for a driving test like first time learners would.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

Thanks for the replies everyone. Initially I was told in the branch that I needed a letter of entitlement as they made all NZ licenses automatic without one. I got an email from NZ saying I was licensed to drive manuals. It took a few weeks but ndls emailed me back and told me that they didn't need a letter of entitlement as they will be in direct contact with the NZ licensing body. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what license they send out. Hopefully I don't have to do the compulsory lessons and retest if I want to drive a manual.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

invaderjim wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Initially I was told in the branch that I needed a letter of entitlement as they made all NZ licenses automatic without one. I got an email from NZ saying I was licensed to drive manuals. It took a few weeks but ndls emailed me back and told me that they didn't need a letter of entitlement as they will be in direct contact with the NZ licensing body. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what license they send out. Hopefully I don't have to do the compulsory lessons and retest if I want to drive a manual.

It all sounds promising! Fair play to them doing some leg work on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

invaderjim wrote: »
    I got an email from NZ saying I was licensed to drive manuals. It took a few weeks but ndls emailed me back and told me that they didn't need a letter of entitlement as they will be in direct contact with the NZ licensing body.

As I've mentioned before, if your entitlements are newer than 1999 and the authorities can confirm to the NDLS you were tested in a manual, you'll get your B and W without the 78 restriction. If you had a valid, in-date NZ licence, you won't need a letter of entitlement. Contact will be made with the NZ authorities regardless of whether you present a valid licence or a letter of entitlement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement