Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build for €500

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/general use.Farming simulator and a few other games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? I don't know

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 30 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

The nephew has tasked me with building a new pc for him for playing games and general use.
    I have built my own pc and other pc's before so that is no problem.
    I am just a bit out of the loop with regards parts and where to buy em.
    €500 is the budget but under is better as he will upgrade as needs be after.
    Thanks guys,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (€65.25 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€57.54 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€26.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (€174.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€51.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€45.66 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €474.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-05 14:24 CEST+0200

Regarding the video card, if you hold off you could get a 4Gb AMD RX 480 or RX 470.

It'll be bottlenecked by the CPU but that can be upgraded in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd recommend going for an i3 from the start, and drop the GPU to a GTX950. 950 is still a very capable card and should carry him for a few years if he wants to try AAA games, where the i3 should be okay but the Pentium will really hold the system back.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bQpbj

€25 more expensive but will save hassle of upgrading CPU, it's going to be much easier to upgrade and sell a 950 than uograde and sell a Pentium.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

There is a guy selling a skylake build on adverts for under €500, its one month old...could be an option, he's in Co Laoise

Intel i3 6100 Skylake 3.7ghz
    Cooler master hyper 103 CPU cooler
    MSI R9 380 4gb Gaming graphics card
    8gb Corsair DDR 4 ram 2400mhz
    Asus Z170P motherboard
    Samsung 128gb SSD
    Evga 500w PSU
    Corsair mid tower
    NZXT sentry 3 fan controller
    Genuine Windows 10 pro

That build Jo posted is ahead of what myself and Kiki have posted, so if a seocnd hand PC is on the cards I'd look at it

He's dropped his price to €425... bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Any link to the add

Jo Satan wrote:
    There is a guy selling a skylake build on adverts for under €500, its one month old...could be an option, he's in Co Laoise

Selling for parts now and the graphics card is gone

Got this with out the gpu.
    Any recs for a gpu??

For €75 no, better off saving at least €150 and picking one up. You'll find the benefit of the SSD though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Few GTX750/750Ti's floating around for 80-100 on adverts, pick one of them up and you're golden. Farming Simulator and similar are not going to tax the PC at all, no need to go overboard.

• Advertisement

For €75 no, better off saving at least €150 and picking one up. You'll find the benefit of the SSD though

€425 was the price including the graphics card. He was looking for €300 for the rest of the pc before it went to PM

Redriddick, how much do you have left in the budget after buying the pc?

Well just got a pm to say he was pulling the advert so I'm back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's 2 builds listed above, Digital Solitude's build is above-console level and should do the kid good for at least 2-3 years.

I see he has put the add back up now.Best to avoid I think at this stage!!!

Advertisement