Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed On Improving Wi-Fi Range From Huawei B593-22 Modem

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently using a Huawei B593-22 modem on the Three network. In order to receive a good signal I have to place the modem in a location which is away from the area where we require the Wi-Fi signal. I am finding that the Wi-Fi signal is poor in the locations where we need to use it. As a solution to this I am considering using either the Netgear EX7000 AC1900 Range Extender or the TP-Link Archer C7 or C9 router in order to improve the Wi-Fi range from the B593-22. Any advice/views/recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homeplugs are usually the friendliest option without using a repeater. TP Link are the popular choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have tried the Homeplugs before but didn't find them very good. They seemed to slow the internet down.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

If at all possible, I would avoid using a Wi-Fi range extender to re-boost an existing Wi-Fi signal. As a range extender re-broadcasts data between the router and the user device, it effectively cuts the bandwidth in half.

As an experiment (ignoring the cellular signal for the moment), try moving the B593S-22 about to see if you can find a sweet spot in the room that provides good Wi-Fi reception through the rest of the house.

For example, if the router provides better Wi-Fi coverage in another part of the room, get a wireless access point and an Ethernet cable to connect it to where you currently have the router. Then switch off the Wi-Fi feature in the router, so the access point itself is providing the Wi-Fi coverage.

Even placing a Wi-Fi access point that has 2 or more external antennas (such as one of the above) right next to the router will likely provide better Wi-Fi coverage throughput the house as the B593S-22 does not have external Wi-Fi antennas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Use the MiFi like a dongle in a TP-LINK TL-MR3420. It works like that in mine. Then use the cable interface to run a cable to a wifi router set up as an access point. The TP-LINK TL-MR3420 WiFi signal may be strong enough on its own?

Scrub that, was thinking of a completely different device.

If home plugs aren't any good in this case (I find them fine but depends on the plugs and the local electrical environment) either cable it (you can run 100M of cable if necessary) or cable it as near as you can and then plug in another WiFi router set up as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Grimwar

As above posts, better to connect via a cable, use a good router as your WiFi network, use Lan @ 1Gb Rj47 cat5.c cables and radio WiFi @ 2.4 and 5 GHz. this is your local area network connections. very high speed local area connection over Wifi or 1 GB cable.
    The connection to the B593-22 modem is better if using a cable, as this is just a internet connection to the WWW, you only have 3G or 4G radio connection. Use the B593-22 modem, just as a access point, disable WiFi, firewall etc, this unit just uses the sim card to receive internet connection, receives data and uploads data to the WWW. A RJ45 cable from it's Lan port to your Wan port of the Home Network Router will connect your home devices at high speeds, allow 1GB/s transfer over cabled connections 1800 MB/s WiFI @ 5GHz.
    A really fast Home Network and if your 4G connection is good over 30MB/s WWW

I'am at the moment getting 12MB/s on a phone's hotspot using 3G, My Internal network speeds are 1GB/s as most of my devices are connected via Ethernet 1Gb cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement