Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a laptop for university

Options
  • 04-07-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Budget: ~€800

Intended use: College work, word processing, very light gaming, a lot of movie watching and music. I like to have a lot of tabs open.. (currently have about 40 in chrome)

Mobility: I tend to travel semi-frequently, so mobility is important. 13.3" is my preferred size.

Warranty: I'd like a year warranty just in case

What Operating System do you use? I've been using windows 7 for about 5 years now, but will move to 10.

I've been looking at this laptop in particular. Its gorilla glass/aluminium build is something I would really like as I want it to last. Touchscreen aspect seems to be handy, but maybe I'm wrong on that due to the fact it isn't a 2 in 1 (doesn't rotate 360). Also I would really prefer high res.

I have a PC, specs in my sig. This will be mainly for on-the-go usage and college work, my PC will be for gaming.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The title of that ad says it has a 128GB SSD, whereas the description says 256GB. I know I'd want 256 if it was me. That machine will be perfectly fine for your usage. Slim and light, relatively powerful for what it is, the SSD will make it very quick to boot/load applications. The battery life might be a bit lacking, it says up to 7 hours, but being realistic that likely means 5 and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Didn't even notice about the SSD size, but it doesn't bother me too much as I'll have external storage. Battery life isn't great I know, but hopefully I'll never be away from a plug for more than 5-6 hours of use.

Is there anything better of the same build quality I could get for such a price though? It seems to be the best, albeit slightly old.

Advertisement