Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working holiday / 189 Visa Skill independant / 457 Visa temp Skilled visa

Options
  • 04-07-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all ,
    So I've been looking at options for Australia for myself and my wife. We're both professionals , I work in IT and she works in procurement. Just to be clear if we went Australia it would be to work in our current fields and not do the backpacker work on a farm for 3 months to extend visa type of deal.

Essentially we want to test out Aus to see if we'd like to live there. We've friends who've gone out and loved the lifestyle so we're thinking while we've still time on our side and no kids/mortgage that we could try it out for 1-2 years and see what comes from it
    It seems the main options are

Working Holiday Visa
    • Cost : ~297 euro each
    • Can only work at one location for up to 6 months

Skilled work Visa
    • Cost : 3820 euro ... Along with ~200 euro for an English test ... Along with ~400 euro to have my degree recognised by Australian authorities
    • Need to be selected through SkillSelect to even apply

the one that seems the best
    Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
    • Cost : 750 euro each
    • Allows me to stay up to 4 years
    • Needs to be sponsored by a business

So my big fear with the working holiday visa is that you're only allowed work in one place for 6 months, which isn't ideal if I'd be applying to jobs. The upside of it , it's very easy process to get one ....

Second visa is very expensive , and seems hard to even get. Given I don't even know that we'll like australia it's a big commitment financial wise but also getting the English test done , trying to get australia to recognise the Irish degree might be more hassle than it's worth ??

Third option seems good and ticks the boxes of not being excessively expensive while allowing me to work for an employer for up to 4 years. My main worries about this would be how likely are businesses to sponsor you for a visa without even being in the country. I've very confident in myself and my ability but I worry that a company would have faith in sponsoring through essentially Skype interviews.

I got some advice from helpful a particularly helpful person about a jobs expo in croke park where I could talk to businesses face to face but that's all the way in October so hoping I might be able to start the ball rolling quicker.

So essentially the questions !
    • Is the Temp work visa my best option for our circumstances ?
    • How likely are employers in general to sponsor workers from online interviews
    • Am i right to dismiss the working holiday visa given the purpose of us going ? Like it seems risky to hope a company will hire you with that visa and then apply for you to be allowed stay on. Also the risk of the partners not getting the same treatment from a company
    • Is there other options I just haven't seen ? Which might suit my needs more ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Pages wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    So I've been looking at options for Australia for myself and my wife. We're both professionals , I work in IT and she works in procurement. Just to be clear if we went Australia it would be to work in our current fields and not do the backpacker work on a farm for 3 months to extend visa type of deal.

Essentially we want to test out Aus to see if we'd like to live there. We've friends who've gone out and loved the lifestyle so we're thinking while we've still time on our side and no kids/mortgage that we could try it out for 1-2 years and see what comes from it
    It seems the main options are

Working Holiday Visa
    • Cost : ~297 euro each
    • Can only work at one location for up to 6 months

Skilled work Visa
    • Cost : 3820 euro ... Along with ~200 euro for an English test ... Along with ~400 euro to have my degree recognised by Australian authorities
    • Need to be selected through SkillSelect to even apply

the one that seems the best
    Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
    • Cost : 750 euro each
    • Allows me to stay up to 4 years
    • Needs to be sponsored by a business

So my big fear with the working holiday visa is that you're only allowed work in one place for 6 months, which isn't ideal if I'd be applying to jobs. The upside of it , it's very easy process to get one ....

Second visa is very expensive , and seems hard to even get. Given I don't even know that we'll like australia it's a big commitment financial wise but also getting the English test done , trying to get australia to recognise the Irish degree might be more hassle than it's worth ??

Third option seems good and ticks the boxes of not being excessively expensive while allowing me to work for an employer for up to 4 years. My main worries about this would be how likely are businesses to sponsor you for a visa without even being in the country. I've very confident in myself and my ability but I worry that a company would have faith in sponsoring through essentially Skype interviews.

I got some advice from helpful a particularly helpful person about a jobs expo in croke park where I could talk to businesses face to face but that's all the way in October so hoping I might be able to start the ball rolling quicker.

So essentially the questions !
    • Is the Temp work visa my best option for our circumstances ?
    • How likely are employers in general to sponsor workers from online interviews
    • Am i right to dismiss the working holiday visa given the purpose of us going ? Like it seems risky to hope a company will hire you with that visa and then apply for you to be allowed stay on. Also the risk of the partners not getting the same treatment from a company
    • Is there other options I just haven't seen ? Which might suit my needs more ?

The working holiday visa is the easiest option and it may be a good way for you to check out Australia and see if it is actually for you. Do you qualify for it? You need to be under 30 to qualify.

The skilled visa is the best option but can take a bit of time to get it and is obviously more expensive as you have seen. Maybe you could come over on a working holiday visa initially and get the ball rolling on the skilled visa. If it comes through before the end of the first year then you won't have to worry about doing farmwork to get a second working holiday visa.

In my personal opinion the sponsored visa(457) is one of the worst visas to be on in Australia, although some people have had positive experiences on it. You are tied to one company and if it doesn't work out for one reason or another they you may be forced to leave Australia if you can't find another sponsor quickly.

Have you checked out the job market for your intended role in the part of Australia you would like to live in? If not Seek or Indeed are probably 2 of the best places to start looking. It would do no harm either to get in touch with a few companies in Australia to get a feel for the job market and what companies are offering.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Advertisement