Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build?

Options
  • 04-07-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of a new ITX build. My last build is from 2008 with an E8400 on an Intel DG45FC board with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I've been out of the hardware loop for a long time so my question is - will a new H170 system with SATA3, and DDR4 totally kick the old system outta the park even with an i3 or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes.

Also do you want to play games?

PLEASE FILL:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Don't want to play games. I want it to handle some VMs, some video, and all general use, and also have RAID.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Don't want to play games. I want it to handle some VMs, some video, and all general use, and also have RAID.

Not sure how many ITX boards have RAID. None of the B150 or H170 have them AFAIK.
    But in general:
    Core i3-6100: €120
    8GB DDR4 RAM: €35
    256Gb SSD: €70
    Your old drives I guess?
    300W beQuiet SFF PSU: €50
    Mini-ITX case: You could re-use yours I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Not sure how many ITX boards have RAID. None of the B150 or H170 have them AFAIK.
    But in general:
    Core i3-6100: €120
    8GB DDR4 RAM: €35
    256Gb SSD: €70
    Your old drives I guess?
    300W beQuiet SFF PSU: €50
    Mini-ITX case: You could re-use yours I guess.

Any H170 / Z170 board should have RAID.

Check hardware manufacturer's sites if unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I've had a good trawl through the web and ended up going for the cheap option of i3 6100 and an Asrock H110M-ITX board seeing as the 200 chipset will be out in a few months with an 1151 socket so I can have another look at boards then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement